Questions about setting up a new tank!

DoubleReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I currently have a 55 corner bowfront tank, thats been running for 2 1/2 years, that I will be upgrading to a 100 gallon very soon! So my question is...

1. Can I keep the original and add new sand as well?

2. The live rock I currently have has small bits of green hair algae, will it spread in the 100 gal?

That's all the questions I have for the moment. I'm also trying to figure out a new aqua scape[emoji848]

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of the sand and get new live sand. Sand will have lots of build up and it's worth starting new.
For the rocks, I personally would keep some of the rocks..the clean ones for seeding the new tank. And get rid of thebrwat to avoid any build ups on the rocks or possible die offs to which then it will all turn in to po4.
But I understand rocks can be more expensive than the sand. If you want to use the old rocks, take it out, keep aside the clean rocks, this will be your live jump start seed rocks, scrub the rest with rodi very well and get rid of any algae then you can use it.
GHA can be eradicated if you control your nutrients and lower po4 no3 in the new system.

OP
OP
DoubleReefer

DoubleReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of the sand and get new live sand. Sand will have lots of build up and it's worth starting new.
For the rocks, I personally would keep some of the rocks..the clean ones for seeding the new tank. And get rid of thebrwat to avoid any build ups on the rocks or possible die offs to which then it will all turn in to po4.
But I understand rocks can be more expensive than the sand. If you want to use the old rocks, take it out, keep aside the clean rocks, this will be your live jump start seed rocks, scrub the rest with rodi very well and get rid of any algae then you can use it.
GHA can be eradicated if you control your nutrients and lower po4 no3 in the new system.
What about the water? Or shoul6i do all new water?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reusing sand is one of those big debates. Some people think that you should toss old sand and start with all new and others think you can rinse it and reuse it. Rinsing and reusing is definitely a lot of backbreaking work carrying heavy buckets of sand and flushing it with water, but it is possible.

As far as the green hair algae goes, if it’s under control now then it will likely stay under control in the new tank. If it’s out of control now the new tank isn’t going to magically cure it, but it also isn’t likely to randomly start taking over if it’s not doing that now. As mentioned before, nutrient control is important here and if you’re managing that now then you should be able to continue to manage it in the new tank.

It’s not really worth reusing the water. The bacteria that keeps your tank cycled is in the rocks and sand and not in the water column. If the new tank is going where the old tank is, then you’ll want to use your existing tank water to fill temporary holding containers for your fish and rocks and inverts and corals while you tear down the old tank and set up the new tank. The water will likely be pretty dirty from the rocks and fish waste and such and you won’t want to put that water in the new tank.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reusing sand is one of those big debates. Some people think that you should toss old sand and start with all new and others think you can rinse it and reuse it. Rinsing and reusing is definitely a lot of backbreaking work carrying heavy buckets of sand and flushing it with water, but it is possible.

As far as the green hair algae goes, if it’s under control now then it will likely stay under control in the new tank. If it’s out of control now the new tank isn’t going to magically cure it, but it also isn’t likely to randomly start taking over if it’s not doing that now. As mentioned before, nutrient control is important here and if you’re managing that now then you should be able to continue to manage it in the new tank.

It’s not really worth reusing the water. The bacteria that keeps your tank cycled is in the rocks and sand and not in the water column. If the new tank is going where the old tank is, then you’ll want to use your existing tank water to fill temporary holding containers for your fish and rocks and inverts and corals while you tear down the old tank and set up the new tank. The water will likely be pretty dirty from the rocks and fish waste and such and you won’t want to put that water in the new tank.
Also when you rinse the sand it's no longer live sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back