Questions about the next steps I should take

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Started my 20 g cube about two weeks ago. Live sand, LifeRock, Fritz Turbostart. I dosed ammonia and in a few days it read zero and nitrates were on the decline. I put in two clowns a little over a week ago they seem lively and are feeding. I am feeding a tiny pinch of ground up pellets once a day. After some reading it sounds like i should diversify this diet.

Parameters that I have been testing:
Ammonia- 0
NO3- about 1 mg/l (is this too low?)
pH 8.3
Salinity- 33.3 ppt. Raising this slowly through fills and letting it evap down.
What else should i look to be testing?

Equipment: running no light at the moment (is this helping to minimize ugly phase or simply delaying it), Chamber 1:filter sock, Chamber 2: sponge and bioballs. Heater (78F) and return pump as well.

Couple more questions:
- I am looking to use a media basket in chamber 1. I have floss, chemipure blue, and purigen. Should I make this switch now? Thoughts on this combo for the media tray?

-LFS told me to start considering inverts about a week or two after fish. Is this too soon? Again I have been feeding what I believe is pretty lightly. I feel they may starve.

-Also any tips on preventing or preparing to do battle with ugly stage?

Thanks!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’ve done a lot of research, excellent. I would advise not underfeeding and dealing with whatever happens, when/if it happens.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back