Questions on keeping monti caps

Railrider1920

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
126
Reaction score
1
Location
NW Fla Panhandle
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,
I'm putting up some T5 lights on my 125. I mainly have zoas, hammer/ torch and duncans. I'd like to get some monti caps fairly soon. I have been looking around for more info on keeping them. The only thing I have really found has been high lighting, medium to high flow and to keep alk in check and not much else. I did see one post someplace that mentioned something about he couldn't keep monties because his mag was out of wack.

So besides good lighting, good flow and alk in check, is there anything else spacifically that needs to be done for keeping montie caps? Does mag play a big part in keeping them? Where should it be?

Thanks for any help offered
Rob
 
Mag plays a part in keeping all SPS coral because it is directly correlated to your Calc and Alk levels, both very important for SPS. However, Monti caps are on the easier side of the SPS family to keep. Just stick him on a rock high in the tank and you should be fine. Even if they aren't getting blasted with light, they should live, though in most cases will brown out and have slow growth.
 
I've read that Mag levels less than 1300 can make it difficult to maintain stable ALK/CAL levels. Don't know the amount of truth to that statement, just something I picked up along the journey.
I try to keep my Mg around 1350-1400.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new