Questions on Setting up Red Sea Reefer G2+200 - New to reefing

thaifood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started cycling my new Red Sea Reefer G2+ 200 and I have a few questions about setting up pumps and lights. For the included Reefrun DC 5500 return pump, the default setting was for it to run at 10% capacity, but that did not even push the water up into the tank. I have it set to 20% and it is working, but I wonder if anyone has an optimal setting for this return pump for the 200?
The Reefwave default intensity setting is 40% and I have it set to Step Wave Forward. I plan on this being a mixed reef tank that will probably lean towards LPS. Does anyone have any advice on flow? For now this is the only wavemaker in the tank.
I have not turned on the Reef LED 90 yet (other than to test it out). I assume when it is time, I do not want it to 100% intensity. Anyone have any advice on what intensity to run the lights to start?
Thanks, I am super excited, but this is all new to me. I have included pictures just to show where it is at. I am working on organizing all of the wiring today.
IMG_6070.jpeg
IMG_6071.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome.

Return pump you generally want to run it faster than 20%. Somewhere in 50-80% is usually the sweet spot for sufficient water turnover and letting the water spend enough time in the sump for heating and cleaning. Also make sure you adjust the gate valve on the drain after changing the return pump speed to have the drain run silent as Red Sea reefers are meant to (this is one of the reasons why we pay extra for this premium brand!)

For the wave pump, you can set it as high as you like without splashing water out or stirring up sand. Once you add corals, you can see how they react to your level of flow and adjust accordingly. You want the flow high enough to create surface agitation and keep detritus from settling on the sand bed, but not so high that corals are battered and refuse to extend. Most LPS do NOT like getting slapped with direct flow.

For the lights, I’d leave them OFF until your cycle is complete and you are ready to add livestock. For fish and most LPS, less is more when it comes to light. Start at 10% when you add your first fish (so you can see and enjoy it) and ramp it up daily from there when you decide to add your first coral. Before adding corals, light won’t do anything but grow algae and let you see your fish.

Enjoy and please don’t be afraid to ask us any other questions that come up!

OP
OP
T

thaifood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome.

Return pump you generally want to run it faster than 20%. Somewhere in 50-80% is usually the sweet spot for sufficient water turnover and letting the water spend enough time in the sump for heating and cleaning. Also make sure you adjust the gate valve on the drain after changing the return pump speed to have the drain run silent as Red Sea reefers are meant to (this is one of the reasons why we pay extra for this premium brand!)

For the wave pump, you can set it as high as you like without splashing water out or stirring up sand. Once you add corals, you can see how they react to your level of flow and adjust accordingly. You want the flow high enough to create surface agitation and keep detritus from settling on the sand bed, but not so high that corals are battered and refuse to extend. Most LPS do NOT like getting slapped with direct flow.

For the lights, I’d leave them OFF until your cycle is complete and you are ready to add livestock. For fish and most LPS, less is more when it comes to light. Start at 10% when you add your first fish (so you can see and enjoy it) and ramp it up daily from there when you decide to add your first coral. Before adding corals, light won’t do anything but grow algae and let you see your fish.

Enjoy and please don’t be afraid to ask us any other questions that come up!
Thanks for the advice!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back