Help setting water level in sump Red Sea 425 g2+

rdelrosario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, please help!
Red Sea Reefer Max 425 g2+

I’m having trouble setting water level in sump.

1. How do you know how much water to put in sump before turning on pump? Around what level should water level be?

1.1 should the water level in display tank always be over main square overflow pipe? Or just occasionally?

1. 1 I have the Red Sea ATO sensor installed in corner per instruction . I can’t get the water level to get in the marking “desired level”. How do you set the water height in the return chamber?

2. Where should the water level be in the first 2 chambers? I have a reefmat and the water level is pretty much level with the water inlet?

3. I have the Red Sea skimmer in next compartment . Where about should the water level be in that compartment

4. What level power should the return pump be? Am I supposed to change this or is this automatic? I think mine says 20. Around what % should I be at?

5. The return pump nozzles in the display tank seem to siphon drain into the sump when the pump turns off. Is this normal or should it not siphon water from display to sump?

6. I notice that water comes down the overflow pipe into the sump even when the water level is below the main drain and emergency overflow. Is that normal? How is the water getting to the sump when the water level is below square main overflow pipe and emergency overflow pipe?

7. Is it normal to have water level in display at about 1” from top?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baffles should determine the water depth in the sump.. the last chamber will evap and that’s where the top off sensors should be placed to keep it level.. depending on skimmer the water level will vary.. as for the returns siphoning back I’m not sure if Red Sea has check valves or not as I haven’t worked on one their tanks or sumps yet.

OP
OP
R

rdelrosario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baffles should determine the water depth in the sump.. the last chamber will evap and that’s where the top off sensors should be placed to keep it level.. depending on skimmer the water level will vary.. as for the returns siphoning back I’m not sure if Red Sea has check valves or not as I haven’t worked on one their tanks or sumps yet.
How do I adjust water level in return chamber of sump to land in the desired level of my ATO sensor? I assume I have to get the water level to fall within the desired level of sensor before I can even turn on the ATO?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I adjust water level in return chamber of sump to land in the desired level of my ATO sensor? I assume I have to get the water level to fall within the desired level of sensor before I can even turn on the ATO?
Add or remove water as required, adjust the speed of your pump, adjust the return flow using the gate valve.

One of these- or a combination.

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, please help!

1. How do you know how much water to put in sump before turning on pump? Around what level should water level be?

1.1 should the water level in display tank always be over main square overflow pipe? Or just occasionally?

1. 1 I have the Red Sea ATO sensor installed in corner per instruction . I can’t get the water level to get in the marking “desired level”. How do you set the water height in the return chamber?

2. Where should the water level be in the first 2 chambers? I have a reefmat and the water level is pretty much level with the water inlet?

3. I have the Red Sea skimmer in next compartment . Where about should the water level be in that compartment

4. What level power should the return pump be? Am I supposed to change this or is this automatic? I think mine says 20. Around what % should I be at?

5. The return pump nozzles in the display tank seem to siphon drain into the sump when the pump turns off. Is this normal or should it not siphon water from display to sump?

6. I notice that water comes down the overflow pipe into the sump even when the water level is below the main drain and emergency overflow. Is that normal? How is the water getting to the sump when the water level is below square main overflow pipe and emergency overflow pipe?

I just went through some of these things personally with my 300 G2+ setup and I think your sump is basically the same as mine, although a little bigger. So here are a couple things.

For 3 - For the skimmer compartment water level, there is a red sticker on the skim regulator (the thing with the handle on top with the "+" and "-"). The water level in that compartment should come up to that sticker...I try to get the water level to the middle of that sticker. You adjust the water level in that compartment by raising or lowering the baffle between the skimmer compartment and the return pump compartment. (The black piece that holds in the sponge...there are screws at the bottom to loosen then raise or lower that baffle to adjust the water height)

For 2 - The water level in your reefmat compartment should be automatically set as it will fill up then spill through the grate separating that compartment from the skimmer compartment, to fill the skimmer compartment.

For 5 - When you shut off your return pump the water that is in your overflow box is returning to the return pump sump chamber. That's what all of that water is and why the level increases. It is not syphoning the water, it is just the overflow box water returning.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#6 The main drain is actually quite a bit below the top of the square tube. Holes are down quite a bit below the top of that square tube is the reason water drains even to it is below the top of the tube.

#7 1 inch from the top sounds right.
It's about where my reefer 170 and 300 run.

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, please help!

I will also concur with @exnisstech on the display water level. It is about an inch from the top...this will be the water level where your waters flows into the overflow box.

For 4 - the power level for your pump depends on the model and also how much you want to turn the water in your tank every hour. (I have the reefrun 5500). I have mine set to 25%, so per the pump specs, with max GPH of 1450, I turn my total volume 90g tank 4 times an hour. To turn your tank 4 times an hour you would need your pump set at about 30%. (115g x 4 = 460 / 1450 = 31.7%...if I did that right)

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back