Tank water level and automatic top off systems

jreising15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone can explain why the return chamber of the sump is the only chamber affected by evaporation. This is where the ATO level probe goes and where top off water is added. I have a Red Sea tank with a separate return chamber from the rest of the sump.

I'm getting ready to do my initial fill and I can't quite figure this out. Thanks.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone can explain why the return chamber of the sump is the only chamber affected by evaporation. This is where the ATO level probe goes and where top off water is added. I have a Red Sea tank with a separate return chamber from the rest of the sump.

I'm getting ready to do my initial fill and I can't quite figure this out. Thanks.
The return pump chamber water level is the first one to drop, a tiny drop in tank level can make the pump empty faster than it can fill

My tank would do that and shoot bubbles fairly often and I realized I just need to keep the water level higher

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other chambers have a downstream baffle that prevents flow until that chamber is full. It’s only the last one that doesn’t have a baffle controlling the water height in it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back