ATO placement and AIO reservoir levels

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I seem to be running into an issue or maybe this is how it is supposed to be. When setting up my tank, the water levels for the display side and reservoir are evened out when the return pump is off (I have a Sicce 1.5 for a 20 gallon tank). When everything is still, I have my levels set to about a little over an inch from the very top of the tank. This is also where I set the level for the ATO sensor.

When the return pump is running, the reservoir starts to decrease in level and the display side increases in level. Because of this, the ATO sensor gets activated and runs to try to fill up the back reservoir until the sensor is triggered. I am immediately turned off the ATO to ensure my salinity doesn’t change.

Does this mean I need to run my return pump after a freshwater change and adjust the ATO sensor to what the proper level is when the pump is running? I tried to attach some photos for a visual. Thanks for any help or insight.

IMG_9547.jpeg IMG_9548.jpeg IMG_9549.jpeg

Last edited:

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one way to do it. Another is to keep it in place and adjust your water level after a water change. The level is tied to your pump speed and could be effected by things like the pump slowing down between maintenance intervals.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back