Adamsbrou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hydros controller and a Hydros Wi-Fi plug. I’m trying to set it up so that my ATO pump will turn off when my reservoir runs dry. I have the water sensor in the reservoir and I have alert “when dry” in the settings and I have my Wi-Fi plug programmed to that sensor, but the plug is off because the sensor is wet and I’m trying to reverse that. Does anyone know how to do this?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hydros controller and a Hydros Wi-Fi plug. I’m trying to set it up so that my ATO pump will turn off when my reservoir runs dry. I have the water sensor in the reservoir and I have alert “when dry” in the settings and I have my Wi-Fi plug programmed to that sensor, but the plug is off because the sensor is wet and I’m trying to reverse that. Does anyone know how to do this?
Can you post screenshots of the way you have the output setup? I assume you have the Hydros setup as a backup to turn the ATO off in a case of a overfull and when reservoir is empty. I will post mine but in my case the Hydros controls the ATO pump which is a dosing pump. but on mine the full sensor, leak detect sensors and low reservoir sensor control it.

IMG_0576.png

IMG_0577.png

OP
OP
Adamsbrou

Adamsbrou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal with this set up was to ensure that the ATO does not run if the ATO reservoir runs dry. The pump that came with my ATO does not turn off when Dry. Attached are the pictures with my settings. So when my sensor is wet, I want the plug to be on.
IMG_7454.png
IMG_7453.png
IMG_7452.jpeg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an ATO output type you are using. The sensor for it is a full sensor in your sump and not a sensor for the reservoir. The reason I ask is this a ATO on it's on or is the Hydros the ATO with a sensor in the sump to run the ATO pump directly or are you trying to power a ATO with its own sensor that allows it to turn on and off on its own. It depends which one it is as to how you will setup the output. Either way the ATO output type will not work with a reservoir sensor directly. You would need to use the generic output type so you can add the inputs and set them how you need them. Also if the Hydros is the ATO you can limit the maximum on time to just a few seconds and set run past maximum on time to off, but that will not work if the output on the Hydros has to stay on and the ATO itself turn on and off to fill the sump.

OP
OP
Adamsbrou

Adamsbrou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel a lot, and My ATO sensor is not connected to the Hydros. So I’m using this to make sure my ATO pump does not run while the reservoir is dry if I’m away.
I’ll see if I can adjust the settings and change it to a generic sensor.. so when my reservoir runs dry, and the hydros sensor registers dry, I want that specific plug to turn off.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO is controlled by the Hydros so it is just a dosing pump and Hydros has the level sensor and turns in on and off. I will post it here since I do use the generic output and have a low level sensor that is a input on that output along with some other. You can setup with just that input if you have a self contained ATO just just want to power off under certain conditions. Input 4 on here is the one in the DI reservoir. You can create it without the other inputs and also wont need the advanced settings.

IMG_0601.png

IMG_0602.png

IMG_0602.png

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@n2585722 I have a similar question. I have a water sensor, and I want to turn my gyres off if the sensor is dry.

Is it possible to set up condition that 'when dry', turn off power bar 1 port 3? I can't figure it out. Thanks.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@n2585722 I have a similar question. I have a water sensor, and I want to turn my gyres off if the sensor is dry.

Is it possible to set up condition that 'when dry', turn off power bar 1 port 3? I can't figure it out. Thanks.
Is this a pump controlled by a wave engine or a 0-10v output from the Hydros or are you just turning it on and off? If you are just turning the output on and off can you post a screenshot of how it is currently setup?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It would not be if dry turn off output but if wet turn on output.

Here is something like what it would look like if you are just using the one input. I just chose a water level input from my tank to get the setup. In this case if the water level sensor wet the output will be on otherwise it will be off.

IMG_0615.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a pump controlled by a wave engine or a 0-10v output from the Hydros or are you just turning it on and off? If you are just turning the output on and off can you post a screenshot of how it is currently setup?
Good morning and thanks a lot for replying.

Right now the gyres are plugged into the wave engine, and the wave engine is plugged into the hydros wifi bar as a "constant". I did this because I bought the wave engine first, and didn't want to put a $300 controller into the closet.

Therefor I have 2 pages on the hydros app. But I'm willing to plug the gyres directly into the hydros if that works.

My situation is that I drilled the holes 5" down, and I like the gyres up at the top. Last week I had a 10 minute power outage, but long enough for the tank to drain, and when it started up again, the gyres ran dry. And when the water level rose to the gyres, they shot the water around my living room, including up at my tank lights.

So either I lower my gyres down below the holes which I find an eyesore, or was hoping I could use the water sensor to turn the gyres off when dry.

The "tank water level" is the new sensor I added yesterday, positioned half inch above the gyres.

Thanks again for your help, if its possible, I don't know if it is possible.

1709383493789.png

1709383530002.png

1709383556296.png

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are using the WE for powering the pumps you cannot turn off power to it. Setup an output without a output device and use that in the depends on setting in the schedules for your pumps. If you have the output setup to be on if the sensor is wet then set dependency mode to off if off. You may have to create a schedule on constant type and set it to 0%. Then do the same with that schedule but set the dependency mode to off if on. Then if that output goes off it will run the schedule with 0% flow rate. Also set the start time and end time of that schedule to 00:00:00 so that it will run anytime the depends on does not have it forced off.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are using the WE for powering the pumps you cannot turn off power to it. Setup an output without a output device and use that in the depends on setting in the schedules for your pumps. If you have the output setup to be on if the sensor is wet then set dependency mode to off if off. You may have to create a schedule on constant type and set it to 0%. Then do the same with that schedule but set the dependency mode to off if on. Then if that output goes off it will run the schedule with 0% flow rate. Also set the start time and end time of that schedule to 00:00:00 so that it will run anytime the depends on does not have it forced off.
I'll try that today, will let you know. Thanks and have a nice day.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try that today, will let you know. Thanks and have a nice day.
Would just turning off the gyres when the return pumps is off work if there is a delay. You may want to use a depends on on the output you are setting up and set it to the return pump. Then set it to off if off for dependency mode. Now enable advanced settings. Now set a minimum off time of a few minutes. The minimum off time counter usually starts as soon as the output is off but if held off with depends on the off time counter will not start until the depends on is release. In this case when the return comes back on then it will keep the gyre pumps off for the minim off time set to give the water level time to get back up to normal.

OP
OP
Adamsbrou

Adamsbrou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an ATO output type you are using. The sensor for it is a full sensor in your sump and not a sensor for the reservoir. The reason I ask is this a ATO on it's on or is the Hydros the ATO with a sensor in the sump to run the ATO pump directly or are you trying to power a ATO with its own sensor that allows it to turn on and off on its own. It depends which one it is as to how you will setup the output. Either way the ATO output type will not work with a reservoir sensor directly. You would need to use the generic output type so you can add the inputs and set them how you need them. Also if the Hydros is the ATO you can limit the maximum on time to just a few seconds and set run past maximum on time to off, but that will not work if the output on the Hydros has to stay on and the ATO itself turn on and off to fill the sump.
Switching it to generic worked. That’s what I needed. I really appreciate the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back