AIO Water Levels

travisandsuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total noob question here: are the AIO and display sections of a tank supposed to maintain roughly the same water level?

I’m setting up an IM SR-80. After we installed the ATO, the display section water level jumped up way too high (almost half an inch from the top) while the back remained a couple of issues lower. Is this to be expected (and we should lower the ATO sensor) or should be lower the power of our return pumps?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the water surpass your ato sensor ? The water level will climb to wherever your ato sensor is.

The sr-80 is an all in one no? So if your sensor is above the weirs in the return it will raise the total tank level

OP
OP
travisandsuch

travisandsuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the water surpass your ato sensor ? The water level will climb to wherever your ato sensor is.

The sr-80 is an all in one no? So if your sensor is above the weirs in the return it will raise the total tank level
The water didn’t surpass the ATO sensor, so all is well there. We’ll move the sensor down.

But I’m still confused: is the reservoir section of the all-in-one portion of the tank supposed to be roughly the same level of the display portion, or is it normal for the back to be lower than the front? Thanks!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water didn’t surpass the ATO sensor, so all is well there. We’ll move the sensor down.

But I’m still confused: is the reservoir section of the all-in-one portion of the tank supposed to be roughly the same level of the display portion, or is it normal for the back to be lower than the front? Thanks!
Send a photo, the ato resivour is not part of the tank, should have a bucket or a container beside the tank. I used to keep my sensor in the middle chamber about 1/2 inches lower than the bafflez

The middle chamber or where your return pumps reside should have an equal water level with the two baffles which is lower than the outer sections

Screenshot_20240322-070910.png

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In mine I may be running the overflow section a little high but I like the water level being a bit higher. The next two section (secondary filter section and then return) are lower than the display. Sounds like maybe you have too much water in the tank?

OP
OP
travisandsuch

travisandsuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In mine I may be running the overflow section a little high but I like the water level being a bit higher. The next two section (secondary filter section and then return) are lower than the display. Sounds like maybe you have too much water in the tank?
i think we do have too much water. Current pics posted below. The current water levels are from after we installed in the ATO (ATO reservoir is stored in the cabinet below). Prior to running the ATO, which we’ve since turned off, the water level in the rear sections of the tank were about 2-3 inches lower than the display.

I think we def set the ATO sensor too high, but I guess I’m still confused about what the target water levels should be in each portion of the tank. For example, in the rear section, is the ideal water level roughly the top of the baffles? A couple inches below the top of the overflow section?

Thanks to all for bearing with my dumb questions!

IMG_8102.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8101.jpeg
    IMG_8101.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8100.jpeg
    IMG_8100.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8103.jpeg
    IMG_8103.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 32

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
far too much water. In the rear section the water should be flowing over the baffles. Pull water out of just the rear section until you can see the water sort of falling or being pulled down into the filter sock. Thats your surface skimming and usually right around where you want you level to be. You can add a little to make water noise less as it flows over the baffles. Tune from there and set your ato

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think we do have too much water. Current pics posted below. The current water levels are from after we installed in the ATO (ATO reservoir is stored in the cabinet below). Prior to running the ATO, which we’ve since turned off, the water level in the rear sections of the tank were about 2-3 inches lower than the display.

I think we def set the ATO sensor too high, but I guess I’m still confused about what the target water levels should be in each portion of the tank. For example, in the rear section, is the ideal water level roughly the top of the baffles? A couple inches below the top of the overflow section?

Thanks to all for bearing with my dumb questions!

IMG_8102.jpeg
also nice tank, wish i would have went this route

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT looking tank!

Reduce the water until the water is at least 1/4" or so BELOW the divider between the area with the the return pumps and the sections next to it.

The water level should not be above the divider.

Feel free to send photo after you reduce water to double check.

Last edited:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it’s the 3155
Ok you have to get those sensors to be a little off centered. Optical in the water and float as the back up (adjusted a little higher). Then lower everything to the water level you like at least .25-1" below the water coming in or the baffle.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An AIO section is essentially a Sump. It's a sealed-off compartment of chambers, each with its own water height. When you shut off the return, those water heights will rise, just like a sump, while the main display water level will fall. The Return section of the AIO should always be the "Variable" water height section, meaning that water will fall in this section due to evaporation. At the same time, the ATO will re-fill this section alone, and the rest of the sections will remain relatively stable, including the Display. To adjust the display water level, you will change the speed of the return pump and any adjustable weirs you may have specifically for adjusting water height.

OP
OP
travisandsuch

travisandsuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so so appreciate all of the detailed responses, y’all are fantastic. I’ll check back in once we’ve lowered the water and adjusted the ATO

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An AIO section is essentially a Sump. It's a sealed-off compartment of chambers, each with its own water height. When you shut off the return, those water heights will rise, just like a sump, while the main display water level will fall. The Return section of the AIO should always be the "Variable" water height section, meaning that water will fall in this section due to evaporation. At the same time, the ATO will re-fill this section alone, and the rest of the sections will remain relatively stable, including the Display. To adjust the display water level, you will change the speed of the return pump and any adjustable weirs you may have specifically for adjusting water height.
VERY clear and well written. This site and it's members rocks!!!!

OP
OP
travisandsuch

travisandsuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered the water in the return section to be abt 0.5” below the lowest baffle. Also lowered the weirs a bit and reduced the return pump power to lower the display level. The level seems really low in the back and the skimmer opening baffles are no longer in line with the water level. Does this look right?

Attachments

• IMG_8104.jpeg
    IMG_8104.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8105.jpeg
    IMG_8105.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8106.jpeg
    IMG_8106.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8109.jpeg
    IMG_8109.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 35

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell. I went over to IM's site and looked at the SR Pro 2 80 AIO (Seems like this is your tank), and it says that the water depth for the skimmer chamber (the chamber between the Socks/Media Basket and the return) should be 10.8" deep (as created with the baffle between that chamber and the return) does this match what you have?

If so, may I ask which skimmer you've purchased? It looks like a Tunze, but I wanna make sure, and which model?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back