Quick Dr. Tims One and Only question.

expo703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my tank with reef one and only 3 months ago. I recently used chemi clean to fight cyano and I have another bottle of one and only. Can I add it to my tank to replenish beneficial bacteria that the antibiotics might have killed? Or will that start a mini cycle or have a negative effect on the tank?

Thanks!

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my personal experience, but I have been dosing MB7 every since my cycle completed with Dr. Tims + his ammonia in a bottle.

I started cutting back the last two weeks since some threads on here mentioned that carbon dosing was not great... but as soon as I stopped I started to see the formation of hair algae and red colored sand.

I dosed about 1/4 capful (very loosely measured ) every 3 or so days.

There are a couple of BRS videos talking about using these products to skip the (year long..) ugly period. I have heard a few people talk about vibrant and some coral issues, so YMMV.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my tank with reef one and only 3 months ago. I recently used chemi clean to fight cyano and I have another bottle of one and only. Can I add it to my tank to replenish beneficial bacteria that the antibiotics might have killed? Or will that start a mini cycle or have a negative effect on the tank?

Thanks!
Well, if your tank still has some nitrifying microbes left, they'd probably should still be able to handle any increase in ammonia or whatever the dosing might introduce, which should not be much. If they can't, then you probably don't have enough/any beneficial microbes left, so it is good to dose to replenish them. So either way, you'd want to dose.

Presuming the bottle's microbes are still 'good' though.

OP
OP
expo703

expo703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vibrant which gave me dinos..I beat dinos and now I have been battling red cyano for a month and it was getting bad so decided to add a fuge with cheato and dosed chemiclean. I read vibrant causes red cyano from the dieing algae. I couldn't find any info on dosing one and only on a tank that is already cycled but thought it wouldn't hurt to out compete cyano etc

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vibrant which gave me dinos..I beat dinos and now I have been battling red cyano for a month and it was getting bad so decided to add a fuge with cheato and dosed chemiclean. I read vibrant causes red cyano from the dieing algae. I couldn't find any info on dosing one and only on a tank that is already cycled but thought it wouldn't hurt to out compete cyano etc

I think vibrant can lead to cyano by stripping nitrate out of the tank, which cyano doesn't need (they can use atmospheric nitrogen) but other microbes do. Just keep nitrate and phosphate from bottoming out and you should be fine.

OP
OP
expo703

expo703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think vibrant can lead to cyano by stripping nitrate out of the tank, which cyano doesn't need (they can use atmospheric nitrogen) but other microbes do. Just keep nitrate and phosphate from bottoming out and you should be fine.
Yeah my nitrates were 0 and pho was 0 and I had dinos..I dosed nitrates and now my nitrates are 5-10 but my p04 won't go below .1 and have cyano now..about to hit 48 hours of chemi clean and going to do a large water change + was going to drop in some one and only. I feed little and have a skimmer and do routine maintenance so I should be good if this helps.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At no time do we add cycling bac after a cycle in a display, because no bac have been lost and there’s no where for new ones to attach, its completely nonfunctional to add them, only taxes oxygen.

OP
OP
expo703

expo703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At no time do we add cycling bac after a cycle in a display, because no bac have been lost and there’s no where for new ones to attach, its completely nonfunctional to add them, only taxes oxygen.
Then why do people dose microbacter7 isn't one and only almost the same product?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the man drive a corvette not a datsun

the man = bottle bac sellers at any link in the chain lol

cycling elitist nerds online think everyone is getting taken but that doesn‘t mean we are right it’s just fun to consider.

beyond just downing the purchase of bacteria we make work threads assembling hundreds of reefs into actions that exclude the need for added bacteria, and those threads turn out astounding

I’m now certain we are paying the mans sportscar bill. Exactly what happened to human exercise sports supplements market has happened for reefing. Probiotics galore

*bottle bac is real and allows for skip cycles, no issues there.

the replenishment is where a chasm forms. In the absence of surface area consideration, any allowance for it whatsoever actually, cash leaves one pocket for another every day all day long. Eight or twelve bucks a pop, x 10000 a day funneled by google search returns on stuck cycles (which aren’t stuck, they’re misreads)

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
That’s fine.
Try half dose, no skim or UV for 24 hours.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back