Quick GFO Alk question

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When GFO is added and drives down Alk would proper baking soda dose be the appropriate course of action?

I've been using all for reef and holding steady at 8.5. The GFO knocked alk down and I don't know if I trust my CA test. I don't think GFO affects CA so I feel baking soda not AFR would be the appropriate thing to bump with.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could dose something to help the alk.

I haven't noticed my alk lowering with gfo oddly...but I also already have afr and an alk supplement running on trident dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When GFO is added and drives down Alk would proper baking soda dose be the appropriate course of action?

I've been using all for reef and holding steady at 8.5. The GFO knocked alk down and I don't know if I trust my CA test. I don't think GFO affects CA so I feel baking soda not AFR would be the appropriate thing to bump with.

GFO may reduce alk in some circumstances by inducing the precipitation of calcium carbonate on it or downstream of it.

It likely does deplete calcium, but the effect is too small to readily detect by kit.

In general, i don't think it matters how you replace the alk, and in many cases, it is an unnoticeably small effect anyway.

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO may reduce alk in some circumstances by inducing the precipitation of calcium carbonate on it or downstream of it.

It likely does deplete calcium, but the effect is too small to readily detect by kit.

In general, i don't think it matters how you replace the alk, and in many cases, it is an unnoticeably small effect anyway.
I believe it drove mine down by 0.75 dkh with a bit over half a cup added. I'll use some baking soda to knock it back up. Thanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back