Quick question about copepod culturing

ShakeyGizzard

Southern Dude
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2023
Messages
8,062
Reaction score
32,762
Location
West Central Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started 2 kinds of pods last week ( apocyclops and tisbe) . The tisbe pods have visibly doubled there population in 8 days. The apocyclops don't seem to be going as fast based on what I can see. Is this normal or does it take more than phyto to get these apo pods going. There is a chance that I had an abundance of young tisbe in the bottle I could not see. I am wondering if a better type of pods would be best since I am a beginner at this.

​

 
Apocyclops and Tisbe should both culture just fine on phytoplankton only. It could be that your Tisbe’s came with more pods in the reproductive stage, and your apos did not, if you can see apps on the sides of your culture just be patient and keep feeding as the water clears. Pods reproduce exponentially so it seems like there are not that many and then suddenly there are thousands.

The strains of Phyto you feed can affect this as well. Both will survive off of basically any strain, but will thrive off of others.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new