Quick Question on Defrosting Frozen Foods

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just a quick question that someone hopefully knows the answer to without digging too deep. I see that a lot of my frozen foods say "keep frozen". Does this mean that you shouldn't thaw it except right before feeding? The reason I ask is because I travel for work and it would make it a lot easier on my wife if I could just thaw a few cube and throw it in a container in the fridge for her. That way she can just dump a little every night instead of going through the hassle of thawing it first. Anything will help. Thanks!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had house tank cat sitters. I broke off the correct chunks and put them in rodi and froze them in ice trays rather than thaw them.
Same here; I first cut up the cubes of various types of frozen food, then mix and match and add any dried food pellets. I work fast so I can refreeze this new combination before it starts to get squishy and melt. Ensures variety of food for your animals while making it easy on whoever is feeding them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With either of the methods above, the food still has to be defrosted, correct?
Me, no. I buy flat packs and I just break it off, or hit the pack with a hammer. I used to mix blends like that too.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With either of the methods above, the food still has to be defrosted, correct?
I try to work fast enough so it doesn't fully defrost; just add a little RODI water to your
"melting" mix and stick back in the freezer. I place mine in small medicine cups with the labels indicating day and time for feeding.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that refreezing after completely defrosting compromises the integrity of the food..........whatever that means.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious if frozen foods put in a feeding basket are bad for temp fluctuation in a very small tank?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't think the small amount of frozen food you'd feed a small tank of fish/corals would change temperature; I usually fully defrost my frozen food so it can better absorb vitamins, garlic (depending on THE STUDY results) before I squirt it in.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to work fast enough so it doesn't fully defrost; just add a little RODI water to your
"melting" mix and stick back in the freezer. I place mine in small medicine cups with the labels indicating day and time for feeding.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that refreezing after completely defrosting compromises the integrity of the food..........whatever that means.
Do you remember anything from that article about not refreezing it and just leaving it thawed?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I portion food out in these:
Add any additives, fish oils etc..
Pull out to thaw night prior to use.
aa22c3992b9486a5be60291372815a85.jpg

When out of town, have tank sitter dump the frozen portion in here:
da92789a636030a13d39eacbcb2da9fb.jpg

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ours don't seem to care if it is thawed or frozen anymore. The clown has helped our little Blenny learn to eat frozen. And sleep tail up.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never defrosted mine, chuck in the frozen cubes and the fish go bananas trying to pull them apart...why would you defrost them..?
I would do it to fill a small container of defrosted food in the fridge to make it easier on my wife to feed while I'm gone.

ReeferMadnessfragandco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just a quick question that someone hopefully knows the answer to without digging too deep. I see that a lot of my frozen foods say "keep frozen". Does this mean that you shouldn't thaw it except right before feeding? The reason I ask is because I travel for work and it would make it a lot easier on my wife if I could just thaw a few cube and throw it in a container in the fridge for her. That way she can just dump a little every night instead of going through the hassle of thawing it first. Anything will help. Thanks!
Keep in freezer until you are ready too feed. Than just defrost in tank water!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back