Getting frozen food to sink

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me a long time to get through a package of frozen food (Rod's Food). Over time more and more of the food refuses to sink when thawed. I'm assuming it is either freezer burn or the small amount of thawing and refreezing that occurs when pulling the package out to break off a chunk. I think with my next package I will break it up into a bunch of pieces ahead of time to minimize the amount of thawing that occurs in the food that goes back into the freezer.

Does anyone else run into this issue and is there a way to fix it after it starts happening?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me a long time to get through a package of frozen food (Rod's Food). Over time more and more of the food refuses to sink when thawed. I'm assuming it is either freezer burn or the small amount of thawing and refreezing that occurs when pulling the package out to break off a chunk. I think with my next package I will break it up into a bunch of pieces ahead of time to minimize the amount of thawing that occurs in the food that goes back into the freezer.

Does anyone else run into this issue and is there a way to fix it after it starts happening?
I usually break off a chunk with a dull knife and let it melt in a small cup of tank water. Never had issues with floating and you don't have to thaw the whole container.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same as above, cut a small piece into a cup of rodi water, let it thaw, then dump the cup into the tank

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Rods daily and find it easier to use the Two Little Fishies PouchFeeder. It's easy and gets the food into the water column slowly enough for everyone to eat. And the magnets are very good.

RTL50727-2.jpg

OP
OP
Y

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually break off a chunk with a dull knife and let it melt in a small cup of tank water. Never had issues with floating and you don't have to thaw the whole container.
This is what I do to thaw out a serving. I have a 30 gallon tank and a single flat pack can last me up to 4-6 months. I won't have any issues for the first few months, but it seems like after taking it out of the freezer so many times I start to get more and more pieces that don't want to sink after thawing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back