Algae from frozen food

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple weeks back I noticed a new type of algae growing in my tank. I put two and two together and it seems to be in my frozen food (saw it today since I thawed it in a cup and looks very similar - more of a round leaf shape). How does one prevent this? Its not listed as an ingredient (Rod's original frozen)

Thank you

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the plant from your tank please? :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would have thought. I could be totally wrong about it being Ulva..but the same stuff that was in rods started to grow after I started feeding it. I can get a photo when I get home.

I'm trying to find a specific species on an ingredient list and so far I've just seen "green algae"

I'm sure the thought process behind most people is under the assumption that because its frozen it couldn't still have the ability to infect a system, makes sense.

I started my tank 100% dry, after the addition of fish I started them on rods. I had the initial "uglies" (diatoms..dino's..etc), the green stuff showed up about a week after the rods.

I don't mind it, it's not really invasive and the various inverts enjoy it :)

Kinda wild isn't it?

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably some kind of Ulva spp. I have a similar experience, and a few folks discounted that rod's was the culprit for the introduction..,Sure enough its the same as what I found in the rods hah! Mostly just grows on my return nozzle now.
Yes! I googled and it looks similar to this

Looks like I will discontinue feeding the blend version which stinks

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I googled and it looks similar to this

Looks like I will discontinue feeding the blend version which stinks
I wouldn't let is discourage you from feeding it. I think it's still a quality food and I continued to use it after. In my case, the algae never got out of hand, especially if you have some hermit crabs or other foragers. I am an LRF (Larry's reef frenzy) guy through and through however, had to settle for rods after my LFS ran out temporally.. LRS is much cleaner IMO but I still think both are very good.

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't let is discourage you from feeding it. I think it's still a quality food and I continued to use it after. In my case, the algae never got out of hand, especially if you have some hermit crabs or other foragers. I am an LRF (Larry's reef frenzy) guy through and through however, had to settle for rods after my LFS ran out temporally.. LRS is much cleaner IMO but I still think both are very good.
That's awesome, looks like they sell a Nano version which omits seaweed since we don't have tangs. Thank you for sharing! I will give them a try

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually tempted to make a thread on this topic recently.

A couple of weeks ago I thawed out some frozen brine and dropped it in the tank. Was the first time feeding it in months as I've stuck to nori and fish food pellets.
I noticed within a day quite substantially more algae on my sandbed that seems to be sticking around a little.

I had some algae or something beforehand, but nothing that bad, and certainly not in the front half of the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back