Quick questions about installation of Tunze 3155 Osmolator

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last piece of equipment I need to install and have two questions.

1) the instructions imply that when using a sump you should have the safety float on the separate magnet rather than the same magnet as the optical eye. My return chamber is small so I’d prefer to use the individual holder. Is that ok?

2) it states that you shouldn’t put this in the chamber you’re dosing into… but I do dose into the return chamber because of the flow (and that’s where the built in dosing line holders are in my Fiji cube 20 sump). Is this going to be an issue long term? Or as long as they’re on opposite sides of the small chamber should it be ok?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float switch is there to stop an overflow issue. If you are ok with that.
Dosing in the same area as the float can cause the optical switch to be covered with chemicals from dosing. There by causing the switch not to work.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) the instructions imply that when using a sump you should have the safety float on the separate magnet rather than the same magnet as the optical eye. My return chamber is small so I’d prefer to use the individual holder. Is that ok?

2) it states that you shouldn’t put this in the chamber you’re dosing into… but I do dose into the return chamber because of the flow (and that’s where the built in dosing line holders are in my Fiji cube 20 sump). Is this going to be an issue long term? Or as long as they’re on opposite sides of the small chamber should it be ok?
1) Not sure how that would/wouldn't work. I just followed instructions.

2) I dose to the first chamber as there is plenty of turnover there. I suppose this is to keep the optical sensor clear.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Not sure how that would/wouldn't work. I just followed instructions.

2) I dose to the first chamber as there is plenty of turnover there. I suppose this is to keep the optical sensor clear.
I can’t really dose to chamber 1 in my sump as it’s not really designed that way. Don’t most people dose to their return pump? I always have and figured most did, especially since my sump is designed that way. That’s really going to stink if I have to figure out a different place to dose. There’s no other good place.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really dose to chamber 1 in my sump as it’s not really designed that way. Don’t most people dose to their return pump? I always have and figured most did, especially since my sump is designed that way. That’s really going to stink if I have to figure out a different place to dose. There’s no other good place.
I have 2 systems. One doses to the first section, as I have an optical sensor in the return section. You can zip tie it to the down pipe if nothing else.

In the other system, I have no sensor, but I do have a small pump to stir up the return section of the sump so I dump in there.

You can have the dosing line anywhere if you supplement flow if necessary.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I’m really starting to dislike this sump. It has covers so the edge of the return chamber is recessed which means the bracket to hold the water line doesn’t really have much to grip. Would it make a big difference to have it fill in chamber 1? I worry it would take too long for the raise in water to register and turn the pump off. Seems like it should be in the same chamber as the sensor, yes?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I’m really starting to dislike this sump. It has covers so the edge of the return chamber is recessed which means the bracket to hold the water line doesn’t really have much to grip. Would it make a big difference to have it fill in chamber 1? I worry it would take too long for the raise in water to register and turn the pump off. Seems like it should be in the same chamber as the sensor, yes?
You can have the fill hose anywhere. Only the sensors need to be in the last (return) compartment.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty quickly found out why they give you a separate bracket for the float switch. In a sump set up that n SA to be a lot higher or every time you have your return pump off (like feeding) the high water alarm will sound…the entire time! I know you can take the controller apart and disable that but I just used the other bracket and problem solved.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1) You can definitely get away with having the two on the same magnet. Though not ideal, it would work. This is mainly built for redundancy.
2) You can also put the sensor in the same chamber as the one where you dose. Again, not ideal but it will work. This is a recommendation intended at avoiding precipitate building up on the sensor. Just know that if you do take this route, you will simply need to maintenance the sensor more often.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back