The case of the missing macroalgae

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some experienced help on this one as I am puzzled.

Reefer 350 g2. About two months ago I set up a small refugium in the refugium chamber of the sump. I put together a diy egg crate type basket to contain the macroalgae, about 10x7x7. This is because I had problems with the macro spilling over into the skimmer chamber. I installed a tunze refugium light running for 12 hours at night and a power head to circulate the water in the algae box.

From algae barn, I added about three tennis ball sizes of chaeto, a jar of Pom Pom, and a jar of sea lettuce. I add copepods and I dose ocean magic phytoplankton each night per the directions.

Tonight I decided to take a peek to see how the algae was growing. To my chagrin, the algae box was virtually empty. A small handful of chaeto and some loose sea lettuce. It is not otherwise scattered around other chambers of the sump.

As per usual, as a noob I am sure that I am missing something. Maybe it all disintegrated and polluted the tank? I have no idea. But I know that not only is it not growing, it is vanishing.

Looking forward to some revealing answers.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates stay about 15-20 and Phos has always been high, about .6 which is part of why I started the fuge.
Hmmmm… yeah then it didn’t die.. they normally just don’t grow and I believe it’s a lack of elements but they would still be in the fuge..

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you dip the macros? Any critters in your sump/refugium? Were the macros turning white/clear? If the return is ever off does the sump water level rise enought for the macro to escape the box?

Also, I do recommend Chaeto Gro by Brightwell. . .

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip the macros? Any critters in your sump/refugium? Were the macros turning white/clear? If the return is ever off does the sump water level rise enought for the macro to escape the box?

Also, I do recommend Chaeto Gro by Brightwell. . .
I did not dip them, no. No crottwrs I know of other than pods in my sump/fuge. The remaining chaeto and lettuce is still green. And the box has a lid on it so regardless of the water level it shouldn’t escape. This is why I am just stumped.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not dip them, no. No crottwrs I know of other than pods in my sump/fuge. The remaining chaeto and lettuce is still green. And the box has a lid on it so regardless of the water level it shouldn’t escape. This is why I am just stumped.
Sounds like it melted for one reason or another. . . how long was it between adding it and when you checked on it? Macros can melt fast but IDK.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it melted for one reason or another. . . how long was it between adding it and when you checked on it? Macros can melt fast but IDK.
A couple of weeks. 2-3 weeks. I actually added some more chaeto about two weeks ago and thought it looked a little sparse then actually. I didn’t know macros could melt. What would cause that if they have the light, the flow, and the nutrients?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a macro-growing expert (so take this with a grain of salt), but my first thought would be a lack of specific elements (such as iron) as well.

That said, is it possible that something could have eaten the algae? Could it have been pulled into the powerhead and shredded? Could the algae have been either blown or pulled out of the box somehow?

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a macro-growing expert (so take this with a grain of salt), but my first thought would be a lack of specific elements (such as iron) as well.

That said, is it possible that something could have eaten the algae? Could it have been pulled into the powerhead and shredded? Could the algae have been either blown or pulled out of the box somehow?
I do water changes with Red Sea coral pro every 10-14 days so can’t imagine trace elements being low. And there’s nothing living down there that I know of, there was an overgrown hermit that was down there for about a week while awaiting rehoming, and I got another tennis ball size of chaeto after that. The power head is out side of the housing box for the chaeto that I have inside the refugium chamber.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with chaeto. It just dissolves in my refugium even though it's getting strong red light, good flow, and my tank has sufficient nutrients. Nitrates at 35. Phosphate at .25. I dose All For Reef daily and Iodine weekly. I'll start an Iron supplement this weekend.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could try a different light, anecdotally I have had more success with plant spectrum white lighting, though the purple lights can work too (obviously plenty of people have success with them). Also, if it’s some sort of deficiency, we aren’t aware of/testing for, might be worth dosing Chaeto Gro by Brightwell.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with chaeto. It just dissolves in my refugium even though it's getting strong red light, good flow, and my tank has sufficient nutrients. Nitrates at 35. Phosphate at .25. I dose All For Reef daily and Iodine weekly. I'll start an Iron supplement this weekend.
Please let me know how it does for you…I dose ocean magic phytoplankton currently and have a very happy and fat mandarin so the pods are doing well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back