Quietest Powerhead

MichaelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

looking for a new Powerhead for my 40 Breeder. Currently have 1 mp40 original running and although it’s running well it is very noisy especially in wave mode. Which makes sense since it is over 6 years old.

that being said with this tank I am planning on putting two Powerheads on the back wall on either side of the overflow box that way the tank looks cleaner from the sides. My requirements are reliability/low maintenance and quiet. The tank is mainly softies and lps so need for major flow.

Any recommendations between these powerheads?

Nero 3 x2
Reefbreeders RPM x2
Icecap gyre 2k x2
Tunze 6055 x2
MP40QD (how much quieter is this compared to my current older model)

Also open to other suggestions as well.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40WQDs running in my 90g on Reef Crest mode. They are both 1.5 years old and I cannot hear them.

With your 40Breeder, you might be able to run 2 MP10s and save some money.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran 2 Mp10s and an a single MP40 in a breeder and you could probably do 1 MP40, although 2 MP10s would be best.

I found an MP40QD is much quieter at 50% than MP10QD at 75%. I think I’m more susceptible to high pitch noise than most.
The MP40QD is MUCH MUCH quieter than the OG MP40s. Night and day difference.

Not sure about ice cap brands but maxspect gyres are also silent but require much more frequent cleanings. By far the quietest I have used are Tunzes you have listed. Practically silent, no noise unless you have your ear to the magnetic mount. I haven’t used them in years but I imagine little has changed since. MP40s are mostly silent, especially if cleaned regularly and greased after cleaning.

OP
OP
M

MichaelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips glad to hear the new QDs are quiet. I should have mentioned if I go the vortech route I was planning on buying 1 new QD40 and pairing it with my existing MP40 which i would run at 10-20% just to avoid a dead zone on the other side of the tank.

You mentioned greasing the MP40s how do you do that?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get a new MP40, or a new wet side, you'll notice a Vaseline-like grease on the shaft and rotating part of it. Someone on R2R reached out and confirmed they use Molykote 111, which is a food grade lubricant. Every time I clean my MP40 (maybe every 1-3 months depending on algae build up, I will add some of the Molykote to the white shaft and under the magnet cover( where the plastic part that clips in the impeller to the outer shell. This keeps it moving nice and smooth. Not required as Ecotech doens't even mention in the manual, but I have a MP40 wetside from 2015 that still is silent and operates smoothly. one tube of molykote will last you a lifetime.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back