Powerheads with cable on dry side other than EcoTech MPs?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I've been on the hunt for a low profile, controllable powerhead that has the cable on the dry side, as this pump would go on the bottom of the front of my Peninsula tank, so having the cable inside would be very unsightly.

I only know of the EcoTech MP series having this feature but would love to hear if anyone has any other recommendations!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I've been on the hunt for a low profile, controllable powerhead that has the cable on the dry side, as this pump would go on the bottom of the front of my Peninsula tank, so having the cable inside would be very unsightly.

I only know of the EcoTech MP series having this feature but would love to hear if anyone has any other recommendations!
I believe they still hold the patent on it, so no other company will offer it. Hence the ridiculous pricing.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eco-tech has the market but I don't know when the patent runs out...
At least until 2026 if they don’t extend them even further

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a list of all the patents they own

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame. I already have one MP10 at the end of my Peninsula, but another one/two would be way too powerful/expensive for what I have in mind. I guess I'll need to rethink my plans.

What's the thought on dry side magnets in water? I may try to put a wavemaker on my overflow box but the magnet would need to be submerged.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame. I already have one MP10 at the end of my Peninsula, but another one/two would be way too powerful/expensive for what I have in mind. I guess I'll need to rethink my plans.

What's the thought on dry side magnets in water? I may try to put a wavemaker on my overflow box but the magnet would need to be submerged.
Depends on the magnets.
I know some that are safe for that exact thing. Others don’t have the magnets coated and they will rust over time

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least until 2026 if they don’t extend them even further

I’m really shocked that China hasn’t made a knock off.. if you change something by 30% I believe that patent doesn’t hold any value. Easy to change the prop and cover on a mp40 and make it your design.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really shocked that China hasn’t made a knock off.. if you change something by 30% I believe that patent doesn’t hold any value. Easy to change the prop and cover on a mp40 and make it your design.
It’s not the pro and cover that have the patent from my understanding. It’s the actual way the magnets couple and spin.

And as @ca1ore mentioned in the thread I linked, the fact that China hasn’t tried yet in all their time infringing on IP and making knock off pumps and lights of every other type says something to me….. (they either can’t do it, or they can’t do it at a price that makes sense for knock offs)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why can't they incorporate this into gyres? All this really is is a magnetic stir bar right? Probably wouldn't be that strong adding a couple extra gears for a large aquarium but would think it could work in nano's.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the pro and cover that have the patent from my understanding. It’s the actual way the magnets couple and spin.

And as @ca1ore mentioned in the thread I linked, the fact that China hasn’t tried yet in all their time infringing on IP and making knock off pumps and lights of every other type says something to me….. (they either can’t do it, or they can’t do it at a price that makes sense for knock offs)
I don't see any complexity here that prevents a knock off. As you surmise, it is likely a simple matter of economics to produce vs market cap. It is a specialized product and would have several manufacturing steps (injections molds, magnets, motors, control) for a relatively small number of sales for the hassle. So high overhead, low sales and low margin = not worth the trouble.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an odd hobby in that we always want to undercut small businesses and their innovation. Aesthetics aside this is the only option as it relates to non return pump device. If you want tie it to a return pump than the Sea Swirls are valid options. Both return and non-return that can accommodate a Tunze.

OP's placement is a bit of a challenge. No mention of display size so who knows what is best be it MP, closed loop, or other.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an odd hobby in that we always want to undercut small businesses and their innovation. Aesthetics aside this is the only option as it relates to non return pump device. If you want tie it to a return pump than the Sea Swirls are valid options. Both return and non-return that can accommodate a Tunze.

OP's placement is a bit of a challenge. No mention of display size so who knows what is best be it MP, closed loop, or other.
For context - I have a WB 3620 (60 gal Peninsula). Right now I run a MP10 on the front of the tank at the top of the waterline, and a Nero 3 on one side, also near the top of the waterline.

The MP10 is mainly for my Anemone which is at the highest point of the tank, but the flow it creates off the backwall of the tank means the flow pattern is pretty biased towards the front of the tank. I want to find a way to add small amounts of flow from the lower front part of the tank, pushing towards the backwall.

I was thinking of two small pumps in each bottom corner of the front, but without external cables, this would just be too unsightly for me. My other thought would be adding a Gyre wavemaker to the overflow box, and create some conflicting currents between this and the MP10, which I think would work pretty well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any complexity here that prevents a knock off. As you surmise, it is likely a simple matter of economics to produce vs market cap. It is a specialized product and would have several manufacturing steps (injections molds, magnets, motors, control) for a relatively small number of sales for the hassle. So high overhead, low sales and low margin = not worth the trouble.

OK, but how is that materially different than all the other knock offs .... unless copying a Vortech is even more costly and fraught with potential quality issues ..... which was the point I made in my post 4 1/2 years ago. There still hasn't been a knock off.

I know lots of people seem to have issues with their Vortech pumps ... which is a bit odd to me because across the many I have owned and operated (more than a dozen), other than a few age-related wet side replacements, I have not had any problems. Suggests, in many cases at least, user error, which makes knock offs even more problematic.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this many times. Most dryside magnets are sealed. I pulled them out periodically to check.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the dry side magnets on my ice cap gyre inside my over flow box.. no issues there but I wouldn’t put a vortec dry side in there lol..

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dry side magnets on my ice cap gyre inside my over flow box.. no issues there but I wouldn’t put a vortec dry side in there lol..

Similar - one of my maxspect xf280's was mounted against the wall with my overflow. No issues. I recall this question coming up a lot on the maxspect forums and they noted it should be fine. I think they just said to check it when you do your normal maintenance / cleaning which is more or less what I did.

I did not try this with my Ice cap 4k nor the Orbit 4 I am currently using. Only the real Maxspect gyres. I have the Cloud Editions in a box and not checked that magnet but I think they changed it from the originals. Not tried that one either.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar - one of my maxspect xf280's was mounted against the wall with my overflow. No issues. I recall this question coming up a lot on the maxspect forums and they noted it should be fine. I think they just said to check it when you do your normal maintenance / cleaning which is more or less what I did.

I did not try this with my Ice cap 4k nor the Orbit 4 I am currently using. Only the real Maxspect gyres. I have the Cloud Editions in a box and not checked that magnet but I think they changed it from the originals. Not tried that one either.
I was looking at the Orbit 2 as I like AI's wifi functionality and I don't really want another clunky controller. Based on the magnet for my Nero 3, it seems like it would be fine to be submerged, given it's rubber coated - what do you think?

Also, what are your thoughts on the Orbit?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 2 ice cap 4k in my overflow with zero issues.. the magnets are sealed in rubber… I guess if you tore one it might be an issue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back