Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cambrian Period
542-488 Million years ago

Below is a paleogeographic (paleo = ancient) reconstruction of the earth at this time. North America is the continent of Laurentia and Europe is Baltica at this time.

514.jpg

Map from www.scotese.com loaded 11/19/09

Life really expanded in its' diversity at the beginning of the Cambrian in what is known as the Cambrian Explosion. A great number of new forms of life appeared, including the first reef-building organisms in Earth's 4.5 billion year history.

Most reefs were concentrated around Laurentia and Siberia, near the equator. These reefs would seem completely foreign to us if we saw them today. The main reef-builder in the early Cambrian wasn't coral, rather calcified sponges known as archaeocyaths. Archaeocyathids were filter feeding animals like the sponges of today. Archaeocyathids did not form rigid reef structures like coral do today, but rather baffled sediment inbetween their skeletons, forming mounds. All reefs have life forms that destroy them by burrowing into the skeletons of the reef-formers. During this time it was molluscs, also known as clams and snails.
Tommotian12.jpg

http://paws.wcu.edu/dperlmutr/Tommotian12.jpg loaded 2/9/10

The middle Cambrian saw a dramatic change. Archaeocyaths dissappeared and were replaced by microbes. Echinoderms (sea lilies) were the most common multicelled organism of the time. Though called sea lilies (crinoids in scientific terminology) they are actually animals. They still exist in today's oceans and feed with their arms. They can also pull themselves along the sea floor with those same arms. In contrast, the most common multicelled organism in the late Cambrian were sponges, but microbes and algae still made up the majority of these reef-like mounds.

crinoid.jpg
sea lily
www.mcgill.ca/files/redpath/crinoid.jpg loaded 2/9/10

As you can see, life was simple during this time, and the reefs reflect that. In the next edition, covering the Ordovician, you will see a much more active time.

Reef patterns and environmental influences in the Cambrian and earliest Ordovician, Rowland, S.M., and Shapiro, R.S., 2002, in Kiessling, W., Fluegel, E., and Golonka, J., eds., Phanerozoic Reef Patterns, SEPM Spec. Publ. 72, pp. 95-128.

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would the sea lillies be like the chalices of today bearing astronomical prices??? Very cool history lesson btw!

Dave

OP
OP
Russellaqua

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would the sea lillies be like the chalices of today bearing astronomical prices??? Very cool history lesson btw!

Dave

I've never heard of a modern one being kept in captivity but they might be somewhere. The nicest fossil ones certainly do carry huge price tags, but pieces of sea lilies are quite common and can be had for a few dollars if they don't occur near you.

OP
OP
Russellaqua

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Is a feather star the same as a sea lily?

Crinoid/feather star/sea lily. All the same animal. Hadn't heard feather star before so I checked it out.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back