rabbitfish in a reef

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kigs!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2007
Messages
1,954
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many keep a rabbitfish and how many has observed non-reef safe behaviors with them? Also please list which one you keep.
 
I don't have any rabbitfish because they get too big and I have seen them eat quite a few different "corals" (Zoanthids, Xenia, and assorted leathers) in others' reef aquariums.
 
My Magnificent got booted after about 2 years. It was starting to nibble zoas. My foxface has been in the tank now for about 3 years with no problems yet.
 
I have a blueline rabbitfish and he has been a model citizen. Doesn't eat enough algae for my liking, but other then that, he is happy as a clam.
 
I have a orange spotted rabbit fish that I placed in my fuge as I learned after I purchased him that they can get up to 18". I replace it with a Magnificent with no issues. Just yesterday I read somewhere that the orange spotted ones are known to eat Zoa's. I checked my fuge this morning where I kept spare zoa's and sure enough, they are all gone! That fish sure has a Zoa appetite!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new