Race to Extinction : Article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6990095.stm

"Not so the spectacular Banggai cardinalfish; a single decade of hunting for the aquarium trade has brought numbers down by an astonishing 90%."

I was interested in these Banggai recently and I may have to buy captive bred.

It is that way for alot of fish and corals.
I try to only get aqua cultured creatures for my tanks,,,,
and I am the first to admit, I have wild caught fish, and corals.......
but that was before I was totally into my tnaks.........
 
well all three coral species are from Galapagos. Does anyone know if there is a Galapagos shipments to US or any coral harvest at all?
 
Galapagos are protected and very strong handed to I might add.....I don't think the coral from around the Galapagos would survive in our tanks anyway more of a temperate water system.....That is why El Nino has such a horrific effect on the coral life there....
 
I had Banggai cardinalfish for quite a long time and was breeding them as well only had one batch survive though before my male got ripped apart by a yellow tang......
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new