Raceway Style Frag Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter B-Willz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

B-Willz

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a new frag tank that will be 48"w x 24"d x 10"t. I have heard that some large scale frag systems use raceways, and thought I could build a raceway style in a smaller space. The idea is to have baffles direct the flow back and forth across the tank creating a steady and strong flow with no dead spots. From the pic below the water would enter from the lower right corner and drain at the top right. Is this a ridiculus thought, or benificial, please share you thoughts.

frag tank_edited-1.jpg
 
Thank you for the link, it looks like it could be promising. I am going to set this up next to a regular frag tank and have certain corals set to be able to monitor any differences. The lighting will be the same and they will both be plumbed to the same sump, so the only difference will be the design of the tank.
 
A vendor in my area built a raceway frag tank. It is a great concept and I would recommend trying it. He also is putting his lights on a track to move back and forth over the tank (I think it is 10-12 feet long).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new