Radion Deep Cleaning

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted this on another forum a while back but thought it could help some people out here too.
I read an article that states that LEDs can loose there intensity dramatically fast if there not cleaned regularly. Well I've been cleaning my radions every 6 months sense I've got them. So I've decided that sense it's been at least 5 months sense my last cleaning and it's starting to warm up I should clean them to export heat off them better.
So here's my write up
Start by laying the Radion face up
mynytumu.jpg

Unscrew the 8 screws. Keep the out side 4 separate from the fan grill screws. They are different sizes.
Then take the fan grill off and set aside and then the acrylic splash cover.
anequtuv.jpg

Now u see this
y2y7enys.jpg

And unscrew the 4 screws circled in red. Then the side will come off. Unplug the power cord from board.
ma5yzyre.jpg

Now screw the 2 screws that hold the board down. Be carful the cable that connects the top buttons of the Radion is connected to the board on the under side so lift the board careful. Then put the cable out of its plug.
9y9uvety.jpg

Now unscrew the 4 screws circled in red
a3atyzu3.jpg

Flip the unit over (but I like to put one screw back to hold the board in place so It doesn't fall off or get damaged.) The top will now just come off and u should see all the dust.
tubepu4e.jpg

Now unscrew the 8 screws that hold the fan in place and air directioner.
yva5u5y6.jpg

zu8ese7e.jpg

Now flip the unit back over to take the fan off.
vu8ujemy.jpg

Pull the fan carefully there's glue holding it in place but it will come off. Also disconnect the plug for the fan from the board.
Now you can start cleaning every thing. I like to clean everything at once so I don't forget anything. I use a vac with the brush adapter and a few micro fiber towels.
Then put the unit back together in these step in reverse.
utyvuvan.jpg

9uja7ypu.jpg

e8enaza3.jpg

Make sure to clean the plastic side to get the dust off before u put it back together.
enyzysu5.jpg

mejyhyza.jpg

eja2u3e9.jpg

Have fun.
Here's a side note I will say other radions may vary on how things look inside but the screw positioning are still the same. On one of my radions the fan comes off when I take the 4 screws off that hold the cover on. I think it's a later model after they started having fan failures. So they make it easier to change the fan out. The other one doesn't have the extension plug for an upgrade kit
ama5u6yz.jpg

Then some videos to show how easy it really is.
Radion cleaning part 1

Radion cleaning part 2

Radion cleaning part 3

Also as a heads up. I'm not sure if cleaning will void any warranty. But my lights are way out of warranty. I would find out your warrant restrictions first before attempting to clean your light.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very, well done! Thanks for sharing. With most electronics when you open them up like that it does indeed void manufacturer warranties. But as seen with all the dust yours has collected in 5 mths that can definitely affect airflow and heat dissipation.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! PM all equipment!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back