Radion G5 Pro or Blue share your experience

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some confusion on what shipped when my G5 Pro’s arrived Friday. They all got quickly tested then the Hamilton fixture got ripped off the tank. Needless to say with 7 plugs I recovered some Apex power bar space. I did have limited time so I have not yet figured out how I will ultimately route the wiring. The thought there is where I’m going to stash the 3 large power supplies. Brackets would have been a nice touch. In fairly short order the lights were up and running on the tank and quite pleased overall with a few caveats.

As far as the lights go, they exceeded expectations. The colors, spread and power are great. The shimmer is very subtle and less than halide or IMO just right with no disco. Shadowing is almost nonexistent, and I will go out on a limb and say the coverage/light spread is better than MH’s and T5’s I had. In any case the tank looks far better. The moonlights are phenomenal with of course full phase programming. Very nice shimmer and visual effect that is very realistic and reminiscent of a night dive. I do like that the “smart” fans don’t run all the time (if enabled). I did hear them run briefly and not exactly silent. The lights themselves get a resounding 5 stars.

My biggest complaint is the RMS arms. I thought these were a new and improved version released with the G5 but no they are the old complete G4 kit and 3 adapter kits for the G5. The main issue is the clamp does not work very well and they lean forward. I have a 200g DSA with a pretty standard rimmed top and they just don’t work well. Pretty sure I can resolve the problem with some rubber inserts on the wet side but ridiculous for a product that is already overpriced. And yes, per the instructions I have the wet side spacer in place and the rubber gasket on the outside. Of course, those adhesive rubber gaskets are so old the adhesive comes off with the backing paper if not careful. On a rimmed tank with ~1/2” glass the tightening screw just comes flush with the front of the mount. Anything larger and I would have to think these don’t work.

Moebius I guess gets the job done but really still pretty bare bones. I had a little trouble on setup with Bluetooth errors (right next to the lights), but I finally got everything setup. I like the profiles and used AB+ for now. It took a few tries to get it going because you have to do things in a certain sequence. I did finally get AB+ running 9am-10pm but there are some things I want to tweak that I have not figured out yet. Mostly I want to reduce power and color to bluer over the last few hours of the night vs. the maybe 30m sunset you get by default. I enjoy the more blacklight look for viewing in the evening. They do have a color enhance template that’s pretty good for that. Haven’t figured out if you can run more than one template yet. That unlabeled graph thing they have for tweaking the program really needs some work and of course would be simpler if not limited to a cell phone only.

Last edited:

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a unit of the Gen 5 XR30 Pro last Friday and installed it in between two Gen 3 XR30 Pros on an RMS rail mount and the colours and spread blew me away. The moonlight feature with one warm white and one blue LED bulb is a great touch and makes the tank look just like one would witness when diving at a reef during moonlit nights. It blends really well with my current Gen 3 XR30 Pros flanking it and I have it at 50% intensity on an AB+ program over a slightly SPS dominated tank (60% of corals are SPS) at 8 inches over a 22 inch tall 4 feet long tank.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have TWO 30blues and ONE 15blue flanked by 4 48”54w t5. Tank is all acro 120g. These BLUES replaced my Previous two 52HD & one 26HD hydras. Just installed tonight. I agree the mobius app is just ok. I like having the templates to choose from but seems you have to reset the sunrise/sunset each time you view a preprogrammed template. I agree id like a longer run on sunset... give me. Slow two hour ramp down so i can watch the acro fluoresce. Really at night is the only time im ever closely watching the tank and i like a long ramp down. Gotta play with the app more im sure it can be done. Hydras had preprogrammed templates that were nice, more choices. I like the lunar that is nice and the easy to use acclimation too. All mounted at 8” over waterline. Had my hydras more like 14”. Too early to really review. EAsy to setup. The slide bracket over the rms Rail works for me although the hardware included in the 15 is too short to attach the light to bracket!!! I had to use my own screws. I plan on calling ecotech to get some help adjusting with the mobius app

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@
I have TWO 30blues and ONE 15blue flanked by 4 48”54w t5. Tank is all acro 120g. These BLUES replaced my Previous two 52HD & one 26HD hydras. Just installed tonight. I agree the mobius app is just ok. I like having the templates to choose from but seems you have to reset the sunrise/sunset each time you view a preprogrammed template. I agree id like a longer run on sunset... give me. Slow two hour ramp down so i can watch the acro fluoresce. Really at night is the only time im ever closely watching the tank and i like a long ramp down. Gotta play with the app more im sure it can be done. Hydras had preprogrammed templates that were nice, more choices. I like the lunar that is nice and the easy to use acclimation too. All mounted at 8” over waterline. Had my hydras more like 14”. Too early to really review. EAsy to setup. The slide bracket over the rms Rail works for me although the hardware included in the 15 is too short to attach the light to bracket!!! I had to use my own screws. I plan on calling ecotech to get some help adjusting with the mobius app
Any updates? I cant decide on the g5 or kessil...is there really no disco with these new ones? Also hows the shimmer?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too note the RMS mounting bracket results in the XR15 G5 pro leaning down a bit - disappointing give the price but and will have to add a spacer to resolve this. Enjoying the app, after some playing. The light is otherwise beautiful.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back