Radion g5 xr15 worth it?

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of switching my red sea 250 reefer to Radions G5. I heard there are some problems with them , and was wondering if I should go another rout. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wont say no But i will say ive read numerous complaints in general

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Gen5 XR15's and love them. Its only been about 6 weeks but SPS are growing great and colored up nicely under them. The few zoas that I have are doing well.

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just switched from AI Hydra 26HD's to XR15 blues. I like the XR15's personally. I think they look better and her zoas seem to pop more.

OP
OP
plexx

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with the Radions. One thing I noticed, most of the coral farms and online vendors list in their description that most of the corals are kept under Radions, so this should be a safe way for me to go. I just saw a video on Tidal Gardens' new building and it's all lit with Radions. Also, I saw Jason Fox is starting to incorporate Radions on some of his new builds.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Gen5 XR15's and love them. Its only been about 6 weeks but SPS are growing great and colored up nicely under them. The few zoas that I have are doing well.
the biggest thing ive seen from gen5 is the lack of cone and almost straight down light. Do you see that or run it with a diffuser?

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the biggest thing ive seen from gen5 is the lack of cone and almost straight down light. Do you see that or run it with a diffuser?

Well, that's strange. There is no cone or spotlighting at all with my fixtures. The spread is very even. I did order a couple diffusers just to see what they do but I have no complaints on coverage.

Here is the PAR distrbuation on two XR15's Gen 5 over a 36x18x18 run at 100% intensity:
PAR GEN5XR15.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why so high on the back of the tank? youd think it would be middle/middle-back

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why so high on the back of the tank? youd think it would be middle/middle-back

Oh, I forgot to mention, the image is not top down, it is as iff you were facing the front of the tank. The numbers in black are the PAR reading on the waterline. Rockwork in the tank starts 9-12" down. I can grow SPS just about anywhere in my display.

OP
OP
plexx

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two xr15 blues yesterday, set them up this morning with the LPS program and we will see how it goes. I will say the coverage on these lights seems very good, almost seems like on would cover a 36" tank.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with the Radions. One thing I noticed, most of the coral farms and online vendors list in their description that most of the corals are kept under Radions, so this should be a safe way for me to go. I just saw a video on Tidal Gardens' new building and it's all lit with Radions. Also, I saw Jason Fox is starting to incorporate Radions on some of his new builds.
Unique corals uses them too. I read somewhere that corals dont do well long trem under leds. I know tidal garden used to use t5's and I think I am going with a hybrid when I upgrade but I have a bowfront and they wont fit plus worried about generating to much heat living in florida and my tank maintains 78 with no heat and right now I have a tiny temporary led thats for a nano on it.
I am also considering the radions but dont like knowing this is the first year with the new lenses and maybe working out the bugs!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back