Radion G6 noise

Nicauj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I was decided to go with 3 reef factory reef flare Pro M for my redsea peninsula 700 but I ordered them a month ago and still now news from reef factory ...
So i'm now thinking about switching to a different setup and my lfs is suggesting me to go 4 radion xr15 g6 instead.

I admit I didn't include them in my reflexion at first because of the noise people were complaining about. Now my lfs is saying that the noise was terrible on g4s but quite ok on g6s.

Anyone running g6 can comment on the noise they make (or better, don't make) ?

Thanks !

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I was decided to go with 3 reef factory reef flare Pro M for my redsea peninsula 700 but I ordered them a month ago and still now news from reef factory ...
So i'm now thinking about switching to a different setup and my lfs is suggesting me to go 4 radion xr15 g6 instead.

I admit I didn't include them in my reflexion at first because of the noise people were complaining about. Now my lfs is saying that the noise was terrible on g4s but quite ok on g6s.

Anyone running g6 can comment on the noise they make (or better, don't make) ?

Thanks !
I honestly don't hear my G6s at all. I didn't even know noise was a concern with the Radions.

OP
OP
Nicauj

Nicauj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following up in case anyone is seeing this thread: they have been running on my tank for the last month and unfortunately they are quite noisy, even running at only 75%.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are we talking fan noise?
i have G5 XR32's and while they occasionally make a bit of noise when the fans kick in i wouldn't say it negatively affects my opinion of them. I'd be surprised if the 6's were any worse.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 XR30 Blue G6... can't hear them... I think my overflow makes more noise honestly, and its a bean style on top, so that should tell you how quiet they are.

But i don't run them more then 40%, and it gives my tank TOO much par at even 40%.
Maybe if i blast them... but again, its too much par for my LPS / Softies, id nuke them at that setting.

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also running two at 75% and I hear the fans kicking in sometimes

Kirklan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed 2 weeks ago brand new XR15 Pros and 1 XR15 blue. The pros create a lot of fan noise in my living room, a lot of fan "rattle". So much so that I can hear them when watching TV. The blue in my office is whisper quiet for some reason. Way too much fan noise IMO. I disabled the fans through the mobius app on pros.

OP
OP
Nicauj

Nicauj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 XR30 Blue G6... can't hear them... I think my overflow makes more noise honestly, and its a bean style on top, so that should tell you how quiet they are.

But i don't run them more then 40%, and it gives my tank TOO much par at even 40%.
Maybe if i blast them... but again, its too much par for my LPS / Softies, id nuke them at that setting.
I started them at 40% at first and I couldn't hear them either. 75%, fans are not on all the time but fairly often

Just installed 2 weeks ago brand new XR15 Pros and 1 XR15 blue. The pros create a lot of fan noise in my living room, a lot of fan "rattle". So much so that I can hear them when watching TV. The blue in my office is whisper quiet for some reason. Way too much fan noise IMO. I disabled the fans through the mobius app on pros.

You completly disabled the fans or just limit their max speed ? Do you see the light intensity going down when the lights gets too hot ?
Rattle is a good work for the fans, they sound cheap. Is anyone aware of the possibility to upgrade the fans for a less noisy one ?

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 XR-15 G6 Pro and the fans run above about 70% but they sound like computer fans. No rattle and not loud. It makes me wonder if they've sourced fans from different vendors for different production runs.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run xr15 blues and honestly never heard the fans . My lighting is only at 60% tho !

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run 2 XR15 G6 Blues for ~3 years, the standard fan noise I never really noticed, but one has developed a louder noise recently / potential bearing issue / on my "annoying things to investigate" list.

They light up the tank but I'm not sold on using the same setup on the next go-round..

Kirklan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started them at 40% at first and I couldn't hear them either. 75%, fans are not on all the time but fairly often

You completly disabled the fans or just limit their max speed ? Do you see the light intensity going down when the lights gets too hot ?
Rattle is a good work for the fans, they sound cheap. Is anyone aware of the possibility to upgrade the fans for a less noisy one ?
I completely disabled them in Mobius. As near as i can tell "adjusting" the speed in the Mobius App does nothing to reduce the speed of the fans or noise. Not sure why the Pros rattle and the Blue does not.

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would disabling the fans not potentially cause a heat issue?

OP
OP
Nicauj

Nicauj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say that the light intensity will decrease if the unit becomes too hot to prevent damage. Not sure I want to risk it though :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back