Radion Intensity

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion users: at what intensity do you set your light(s)?
Tank depth?
and how long is your photoperiod?

chris k.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small tank i have a gen 4 xr15 10 hour photo period 100% at 15k. My big tank is 30 inches deep 2 gen 4 xr30's at 90 % for 10 hours at 15k. But tanks run max intensity for 4 hours 2 hour ramp up and 4 hours in the evening just blues so i can enjoy the colors.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my Coral/Invert QT tank im running the radiant color profile at i think 65% Max using 2x Radion XR30Gen2's
I also run the same profile and intensity for my 28G Biocube with a single Gen3 XR15Pro
On my 210G Im running a modified AB+ profile at 100% Max
all lights run ~12 hr

OP
OP
PeaBrain

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is, can you cast too much light? I have (2) 15w Gen 4's over a 90 gallon 24" deep mixed reef. The corals look more open and "happier" now that I have taken the lights down to an SPS AB+ derivative at 50%, with the max slider at 60%.

If someone could shed light on the relationship between the light % and slider % I would appreciate it.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR numbers along with spectral settings will tell the tale. Settings don't matter if we don't know the height of the luminaire above water level.

OP
OP
PeaBrain

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Just trying to get a general idea of what people are doing. Nothing particularly scientific.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well what are yours?
Well when I was running my xr15 g4pro ab+ at 95% on my biocube 29. Now I’m running a xr15 gen5 pro on it with the phix14 at 75% and slowing moving up to 95%. On my 60g frag tanks I have 2 xr30 gen5 pros with aquaticlife t5 hybrid and on my other 60g frag tank I have 2 xr15 gen5 pros since it’s my zoa and lps tank. Both frag tanks I’m plumbing in the next few weeks.

Hoparna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my Red Sea 170 gen 4 xr15 I'm running at 35%intensity I just have zoas, mushroom and a leather coral. is that low?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What corals are you keeping? Where are they in the tank? Could you post a photo of your tank to show the lighting and where your corals are? That would help too.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is, can you cast too much light? I have (2) 15w Gen 4's over a 90 gallon 24" deep mixed reef. The corals look more open and "happier" now that I have taken the lights down to an SPS AB+ derivative at 50%, with the max slider at 60%.

If someone could shed light on the relationship between the light % and slider % I would appreciate it.

Just finally starting to figure it all out and get ramps the way I want. For any template you pick you can go through each period and they have selected a color mix and the point intensity is always 100% I believe. What really matters though is that for each template the "schedule" intensity is set to 50% which will override each period to 50% of its settings. So if you also have acclimation on at 50% you are only running 25%. I left acclimation off, let it start at 50% and have so far ramped up the schedule intensity to 80% over about 5 weeks. Also when you tap on the schedule intensity, set the slider and even press done you won't see any change until your back at the template screen and press the little save button at top right. I started with AB+ but went to a customized radiant color with a more intense ramp down followed by an added period of moonlight.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have any specific recommendation on settings but I can guarantee you that it is possible to over-illuminate a coral reef tank. Generally, a minimum PAR of 200 at the bottom of the tank is sufficient, and there isn't much need to provide PAR of over 400. There are exceptions - Tridacna clams are light hogs, and coloration (especially non-fluorescent chromoproteins) can be more intense at higher light levels. Many hobbyists I don't guess at calcium levels and I wouldn't recommend guessing at light intensity either. I wrote an article for R2R about a $10 light meter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back