Radion High Intensity Lenses

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the new Radion High Intensity Lenses because I feel the G6 lights have to much spread and it takes away significantly from the PAR, especially for sps. G6 optics stock are 126.3 degrees, high output lenses are 86 degrees, G4 lenses are about 80 degrees.

So here’s my specific setup and numbers I thought I’d share. Only 2 of my six lights are G6 Pro with the new lenses installed, but the numbers were definitely improved for my tank. I think I’ll actually be able to ramp down maybe 20% intensity with the same par as previously. If needed, I can always raises my lights higher as corals grow and up the intensity, but it’s nice to have that option and not maxed out as I was before.

The tank is 60”x22”x20”.
Lighting is 4x Radion XR15 G4 Pro and 2x Radion XR15 G6 Pro hanging 7.5” off the water.
All lights are running at 100% intensity and:
100% B, RB, V, UV
35% CW
10% R, G, WW

The numbers on the left are stock lenses and right are high intensity lenses.
4113426D-909E-4DF0-87E1-2274F34EFF5F.jpeg
DD9707B9-A8CD-4A01-9731-73B7D497C668.jpeg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this in the morning which got me thinking until he pointed out he lost the wraparound benefits in his application from the wider spread although mentioned other benefits.

Are you seeing any negatives in your application. Thinking of doing this since XR15 G6 was purchased to sit temporarily on a nano tank during a whim purchase during Black Friday sale in 2022. Wouldn’t mind getting rid of some bleed and think for me this definitely helps.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love when people claim the G6 doesn’t have the PAR for SPS and then you see they aren’t even running half the LEDs :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I can hit over 450 PAR in my tank with 6 XR15s. With my settings I get around 350 at the top and over 200 on the sand. Plenty for any SPS out there.

Pics won’t post. I’ll keep trying

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love when people claim the G6 doesn’t have the PAR for SPS and then you see they aren’t even running half the LEDs :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I can hit over 450 PAR in my tank with 6 XR15s. With my settings I get around 350 at the top and over 200 on the sand. Plenty for any SPS out there.

Pics won’t post. I’ll keep trying
Do you have the blues? If not, care to share your settings? Not trying to bash, but ecotech is rather unhelpful when asked how to properly run their expensive equipment. I’ve always used these settings because that’s roughly what Jake Adam’s ran his G4 pros at in a video a couple years ago

If I run 100% on all channels on the pros it looks like 5000k. I got the pros because I already had g4 pros and thought it would look weird running blues and pros. I was trying to mimic what I had. Maybe I made a mistake buying pros? But I don’t care for the windex blue look all day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this in the morning which got me thinking until he pointed out he lost the wraparound benefits in his application from the wider spread although mentioned other benefits.

Are you seeing any negatives in your application. Thinking of doing this since XR15 G6 was purchased to sit temporarily on a nano tank during a whim purchase during Black Friday sale in 2022. Wouldn’t mind getting rid of some bleed and think for me this definitely helps.

I mean you’re likely going to loose some wrap around coverage to help with shadowing since the optic degrees are different. My tank is not full of colonies yet and when the time comes, I plan on raising the entire light fixture.

I’m happy with my decision. I was surprised by the fact that numbers were actually increased throughout the tank including the far sides and rear of the tank.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean you’re likely going to loose some wrap around coverage to help with shadowing since the optic degrees are different. My tank is not full of colonies yet and when the time comes, I plan on raising the entire light fixture.

I’m happy with my decision. I was surprised by the fact that numbers were actually increased throughout the tank including the far sides and rear of the tank.
Could add AI Blades front and back to fill in shading similar to how often done with T5s. Slightly angled too. What crossed my mind when he mentioned it in the video.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have the blues? If not, care to share your settings? Not trying to bash, but ecotech is rather unhelpful when asked how to properly run their expensive equipment. I’ve always used these settings because that’s what Jake Adam’s ran his G4 pros at in a video a couple years ago

If I run 100% on all channels on the pros it looks like 5000k. I got the pros because I already had g4 pros and thought it would look weird running blues and pros. I was trying to mimic what I had. Maybe I made a mistake buying pros? But I don’t care for the windex blue look all day.

I run the Pros as well. I tried the G5 Blues and couldn’t stand them. They were too blue all the time for me.

Let’s see if pics will upload now. They wouldn’t earlier. It’s got my settings. Still won’t let me upload pics.

I run all blue and UV channels at 100%. Red at 30% and green at 17%. Cool white at 55% and warm white at 50%. Then 100% on point intensity.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could add AI Blades front and back to fill in shading similar to how often done with T5s. Slightly angled too. What crossed my mind when he mentioned it in the video.
I did actually add on a 21” blade glow to my 60 cube lps tank because I only have one xr15 pro on that and I’m impressed with it. I get whiter light with the xr15 pro coupled with intense uv/royal blue pop. In the evening it pops with all blues
IMG_1382.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also these $20 a piece lenses gave me what I was looking for as opposed to spending an additional like $700 or $1400 plus mounts for this tank:face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried hanging them higher with the new lens? I just want better access to the top of my tank.
I can try this weekend to see what kind of drop off in par I get with different hanging heights. I’d run just the g6 pros with the new lenses and turn off my g4. My tank doesn’t have a bunch large of colonies yet to see the effect on shadowing however, but I can measure par

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can try this weekend to see what kind of drop off in par I get with different hanging heights. I’d run just the g6 pros with the new lenses and turn off my g4. My tank doesn’t have a bunch large of colonies yet to see the effect on shadowing however, but I can measure par
Awesome! I wonder if it could give the same spread as before at around 16”.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I wonder if it could give the same spread as before at around 16”.
The new plate is around 85 degrees. What was before. I’m guessing if similar then similar spread at same height.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did a side by side of the stock lenses and the high intensity lenses and saw a ~2x increase in PAR output with the high intensity lenses!

I recently bought 2 xr15 gen 6 lights for my tank and was a little underwhelmed with the PAR values. The prevailing hypothesis from forums seems to be that the increased spread/coverage of the gen 6 decreases intensity at any one spot; advantageous for large tanks with lots of these lights overlapping, but maybe not so good for my little one (light mostly just shines in my eyes lol).

I decided to try out the high intensity lens kit to see if it would increase my output a bit! I ordered 1 kit and installed it on the right light (not the light on the left). At first, I just wanted to test it out, but after reading the par values I thought it would be a nice comparison for others to see the left/right differences.

Tank dims are 36" x 19" x 18". Lights are mounted with the RMS mounts spaced ~6" from each edge of the tank. PAR measurements were recorded with the VABIRA-aqua meter (I've compared this against an apogee at my LFS and the par values recorded from a variety of lights, xr15's included, are within 5% of eachother). Lights were set to the following values with point intensity at 100%:

UV: 100%
Violet: 100%
Royal: 100%
Blue: 100%
Green: 25%
Red: 25%
Warm white: 0%
Cool white: 40%

High intensity lens kit definitely has an improvement in par (right) compared to base lens kit (left).

PAR_values.png

I have a RBTA on the right (located at the 220 number) that seemed to perk up with the new kit!

I'm also curious to poll people's opinions. Since my goal is to grow some SPS corals at the 115-125 section of the rocks: do you think this is sufficient or is it worth getting another high intensity lens kit and pushing the lights together a bit? I want to avoid getting another fixture, for both cost and aesthetics lol

I think this is more pronounced for me because I only have 2 lights. When you have a larger tank with a lot of lights overlapping, the spread can be your friend!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back