Radion owners I need your advice

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a single Kessil AP700 for a few years but I’m starting to delve into SPS and I need a bit more punch!

I have a RS Reefer 425, that’s 4x2x2 rimless. I’m looking at starting with two XR15 G5’s and adding a third or fourth as needed. My problem is around how to mount them.

I’m torn between the hanging mount and the RMS rail mount. I’m just looking for pros/cons or lessons learned from people who have used these mounts in a similar setup. If you have any applicable experience I’d love to hear your insight.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g, which is 4x2x2. I run 4 Radion XR15 G5 Pros on my mixed reef. I have them on the RMS mount. I run the AB+ schedule. I love these lights!
Here's my setup and review:

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xr30s over my 65g tank and it's overkill lol. I run them at 25%. Love them. I took the rrm rails from my xr15s and combined them to hold 2 xr30s over my tank. Love the set up, I would like to mount them a little higher but this is working well. Sorry indolent of pulling algae and a water change.
20210822_221317.jpg

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a single Kessil AP700 for a few years but I’m starting to delve into SPS and I need a bit more punch!

I have a RS Reefer 425, that’s 4x2x2 rimless. I’m looking at starting with two XR15 G5’s and adding a third or fourth as needed. My problem is around how to mount them.

I’m torn between the hanging mount and the RMS rail mount. I’m just looking for pros/cons or lessons learned from people who have used these mounts in a similar setup. If you have any applicable experience I’d love to hear your insight.
FB_IMG_1624536975904.jpg
FB_IMG_1624536883617.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only used the RMS mounts, and I mainly did this to hide the cables and because I had the mounts from my previous tank when I migrated to a larger setup - so it seemed like an waste/additional expense to go the hanging route. My setup has 3 rear-mounted RMS mounts as opposed to 2 on the sides with an RMS rail.

Pros? Provides a conduit for the power cable (hiding it neatly), and you end up with a fixed height above the tank. The RMS is rock solid and next to impossible to accidentally knock into the tank (the diffusers on the Radions are another matter).

Cons? Well, even when tightened the RMS mounts do sag a bit under the weight of the Radions (more the XR30 than the XR15), you can’t adjust the Radion height above the tank and depending on the number of lights the RMS setup will end up costing more. You can run two RMS mounts on the sides and a rail, but you’ll end up seeing the power cords on the sides then (and then you have that central rail to work around for maintenance).

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank with two XR15. My main thoughts are:
  • I would/will stick with the RMS. It just works well as @blaxsun said.
  • The real question IMO is whether to run two XR30 or three XR15. I’m considering selling my XR15 and switching to XR30 when the time comes. But honestly that probably has more to do with replacing my lids than anything else, I just don’t know…
Either way, Radions on the RMS are very nice.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank with two XR15. My main thoughts are:
  • I would/will stick with the RMS. It just works well as @blaxsun said.
  • The real question IMO is whether to run two XR30 or three XR15. I’m considering selling my XR15 and switching to XR30 when the time comes. But honestly that probably has more to do with replacing my lids than anything else, I just don’t know…
Either way, Radions on the RMS are very nice.
I think you’d be very happy with a pair of XR30’s on your 425, but three XR15s would also give great coverage. You may already know this, but there’s a marked slot on the Red Sea overflow cover that is easily cut out with an exacto knife so that you can mount a third RMS in the center.

I also recommend the diffusers, as they magnetically attach, are easy to clean and act as a great splash guard for all the active aquatic life. Plus it adds a nice subtle effect to the LEDs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back