Radion XR15 G5 Pro on WaterBox Marine 60.2 - PAR Values

epidemos82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will start by saying that I sure am glad that I "rented" a PAR meter (Apogee MQ-510 ) from BRS. The results were not what I was expecting. I have am older model WaterBox Marine 60.2 that measures 17 5/8" x 23 5'8" x 23 5'8", and I am running an Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro G5 with diffuser on an RMS mount. I have been running the AB+ schedule at 60% intensity assuming that it was enough for a mixed LPS and SPS tank. Well, the PAR values were nowhere near what I thought they were going to be. I tested them at 60%, 80%, 90%, 95%, and 100% intensity. At 60% the top of my rock where I had been placing SPS was at 175 and the bottom of the sand around 80. Yikes! At 100% it was 300 at the top of the rocks and 140 at the sand. I posted my full range of measurements in the PAR Database post. Overall, I really overestimated the power of the light. I think I am going to run it somewhere around %90-95 and see how the corals respond. Are these values surprising to anyone else?

IMG_8983.JPG

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From recent posts. No. And ty for posting the test results. I have 2 over my xl300 mixed reef w diffusers using the ab+ and I’m at 90% overall intensity. But will make it 100% in a few more weeks.

bee144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you corals currently happy? Remember, stability is the biggest key. Chasing numbers doesn’t always work out as you’d hope.

if you do increase, I’d make it very slow. Like 1% increase every 3-5 days.

OP
OP
epidemos82

epidemos82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, 1% okay! I was planning to bump it up by 5% every week. I will go with the more conservative approach.

And as for the coral, no, I slowly lost an orange cap over several weeks despite Ca, Alk, pH, Mg and other values being in range. Now I know that is was sitting in a spot that was probably 80-100 PAR. The lighting seems like the cause now. I also noticed that that the star polyps at the bottom of the tank were reaching.

I have already noticed that the couple SPS are coloring up. Also, I am not sure if "chasing numbers" applies to PAR as it does pH and other parameters. SPS grow at 200-350 - 80-120 is not going to cut it.

Last edited:

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have G5 blue and also a AI prime on marine 60.2 I haven't done any par test . I have both ights at about 60%. top is mostly SPS and bottom are LPS . I don't know my par but I did burn a blastoLPS I recently brought it was on the sand bed. now I have it in shaded area. thanks for the par numbers . I would go slow and also a lot of corals don't need that much light . I would also check ur water quality and run some carbon and redo the par test see if that changes anything .

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back