Radion xr30 algae problems

eric6carlsoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having lots of brown and cyino algae from my lights i checked my parameters of my tank and phosphates are low. On my radions all my blue and purple are 55 precent my greens reds and whites are 5 precent and beightness is at 60 precent and i am still gettin algae can anyone give me any suggestions on what else i can do i also run gsp and change 20 precent of water every 2 weeks

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Common practice is lights out for the cycle, nuisance algae will give false readings on nutrients as they are using them. Not saying you tank is new, just thinking out loud. If its established tune your skimmer a bit and roll back the light schedule

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it's unlikely that the problem is your lights. I've had bad algae problems and no algae problems with the same lights on the same settings. It's worth checking your source water. Also, If your phosphates are reading low but you still have an algae problem, it's possible that the algae is consuming it before it is picked up by your testing.

OP
OP
E

eric6carlsoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my rodi water from my LFS every 2-3 weeks so that not the issue is there anything other then do like a huge water change or something else my tank is like 4-5 years old before i got the leds last year i had no problems with algae and i was using metal halides. I also vacuum off my substrate and rocks too

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is typically a symptom of a nutrient imbalance and can be exacerbated by longer light and intensity schedule. Extra food, dead snail, are you running them in acclimation mode or going right to your normal par settings?

OP
OP
E

eric6carlsoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is typically a symptom of a nutrient imbalance and can be exacerbated by longer light and intensity schedule. Extra food, dead snail, are you running them in acclimation mode or going right to your normal par settings?
I use the same settings my LFS usese on there tanks and they have no issues

OP
OP
E

eric6carlsoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights are inly like 18-24 months old i bought them new and only run them from 10 am - 5:30 pm every day

OP
OP
E

eric6carlsoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never changed my light schedule ikept them the same as my fish store has there from the beginning and till this day

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP = green star polyps ..... do you mean GFO?

Thousands of reefers running radion lights so that's not the problem. Unfortunately, even if there's a tiny amount of PO4 algae can grow. Since you offer almost no details about your tank, it's hard to offer much useful advice.

OP
OP
E

eric6carlsoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just checked my tank this morning my phosphate is 0.5 ppm my guy thats does tank mantance once every 3 week will be here in the morning to do a water change and vacuum substrate for me I do run GFO for my phosphates what else other then water changes can I do to fix the phosphate problems. thats probably the why I have having some algae problems

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my rodi water from my LFS every 2-3 weeks so that not the issue is there anything other then do like a huge water change or something else my tank is like 4-5 years old before i got the leds last year i had no problems with algae and i was using metal halides. I also vacuum off my substrate and rocks too
Getting RODI from the LFS is very often people's problem.

Have you had the RODI from the store tested?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 46 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back