Radium metal halide bulbs will not be produced anymore!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some soviet era vacuum tubes from Eastern Europe for some of my McIntosh amps that folks would probably inflict bodily harm on me to get. :) These were cheap when Americans were throwing away their vinyl and buying solid state stereo gear... like boxes of them in the packaging for $20.
NOS Mullards always fetch a good price.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of MarineColor bulbs. 3 months in, one cracked and I had to disassemble the socket to get all of the pieces out. Color and output was fine, as I posted about somewhere. The glass and build was really shoddy.
I had the same thing happen today on a 1 months old 250w 20k marine color as you had warned about . I always learn the hard way. On a positive note, I found an old 250w de bulb with no box that said “pec lamp mh 250w/td blue” on the bulb. Bulb appears well made and has a phoenix look to me? Anyone know what that label identifies the brand as?

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my last 250w DE bulb besides Marine Color bulbs. I can't find a single place to get a decent bulb from. What a shame. I can't stand leds :D

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is my last 250w DE bulb besides Marine Color bulbs. I can't find a single place to get a decent bulb from. What a shame. I can't stand leds :D
The ushio store still has a decent amount left depending on what you want.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ushio store still has a decent amount left depending on what you want.

Looks like all of their 250w DE bulbs are sold out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like all of their 250w DE bulbs are sold out. Thanks for the suggestion.
That sucks. Running out of options. What ballasts do you have? May be time to switch to e39 bases and stock up on single ended bulbs while you still can...

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HH
That sucks. Running out of options. What ballasts do you have? May be time to switch to e39 bases and stock up on single ended bulbs while you still can...
it was just for this particular giesemann infinity fixture. I still have my SE stuff. It’s just upsetting that I’ll have a beautiful fixture with no bulbs to run, or worse, gut the halide for a radion . Too bad that the newer reef keepers will never experience halide.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really hard to find de bulbs ?
As far as I know, yes. Haven't seen any pheonix since Amazon ran out almost a year ago. I thought ushio was good, I got a case a few months ago. Now they are out of stock and it says discontinued in description. I think the Ebay bulbs are all that's left in 250w or hqi, 150w de bulbs are still available

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HH

it was just for this particular giesemann infinity fixture. I still have my SE stuff. It’s just upsetting that I’ll have a beautiful fixture with no bulbs to run, or worse, gut the halide for a radion . Too bad that the newer reef keepers will never experience halide.
Which/what size giesemann are we talking about here? I have a nice little hqi stockpile but a giesemann makes for a nice open top set up. Let me ease your worries ;-)

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone will have the answer to this I know it will be someone here. I just received an order for two radium, 400watt bulbs. One of them appears to be damaged. I’m attaching a picture of the damaged bulb for you to see. There seems to typically be a small flat piece of metal that is bonded/welded to the metal rod that comes off of the top of the arc tube. On this bulb, this flat piece of metal has fallen off and it’s just laying inside the glass. I’m not sure what the function of this piece of metal is for. The bulb did in fact fire up when I tested it. I let it run for about five minutes and everything seemed OK. Not sure if not having this flat piece of metal attached will have any long-term effect on the function of the bulb? Any info on what the function of this displaced piece of metal does and if it will in fact effect the function of the bulb long term would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpeg
    IMG_2781.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2782.jpeg
    IMG_2782.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 31

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back