Radium metal halide bulbs will not be produced anymore!

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone will have the answer to this I know it will be someone here. I just received an order for two radium, 400watt bulbs. One of them appears to be damaged. I’m attaching a picture of the damaged bulb for you to see. There seems to typically be a small flat piece of metal that is bonded/welded to the metal rod that comes off of the top of the arc tube. On this bulb, this flat piece of metal has fallen off and it’s just laying inside the glass. I’m not sure what the function of this piece of metal is for. The bulb did in fact fire up when I tested it. I let it run for about five minutes and everything seemed OK. Not sure if not having this flat piece of metal attached will have any long-term effect on the function of the bulb? Any info on what the function of this displaced piece of metal does and if it will in fact effect the function of the bulb long term would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
I had same problem on my 400w radium, I post it here, with no one could answer me. I did get replacement bulb. But I still used this one with no issues.

Last edited:

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses. PaulErik, that sounds like the best possible news for me. I appreciate your expert response. Very much appreciated!!! At least the bulb is usable!!!
Thank you again!!!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few companies are supposedly making production runs of DE bulbs. I am past believing anything until I see it, but if everybody uses their current DE bulbs for 2 years, we should know more by then.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know anything about these?

It's by far the most fragile construction of glass I've ever tried.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's by far the most fragile construction of glass I've ever tried.
Great name for a bulb.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run 3 of the sps bulbs 150s on a frag tank. 2 lasted 9 months, one burned out at 6 months. For the clearance price they are ok, but when you see them they are cheaply made. I was told reef brite will still be making 150 de bulbs by champion yesterday so that’s a plus, but I’ve never tried one of their bulbs yet so no idea how they look

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more info on Hamilton making electronic ballasts and selling their bulbs again? It would be great to have them as a full MH supplier again. We need it!
I called Hamilton today asking for a date in regards to the availability of halide gear. They were very busy today and I was informed they should be able to give me a date by the end of this week.
By the way...
1) Recently Adam from BC chose the "halide 65K" as the best light of his choice. His second choice is T5s. He has been using all 3 types of light (halides, T5s, LEDs) for a while and finally published his preference. Finally!!!!
2) Keith, from ReefBum also published his preference for Radium 400W 20K as the best light. Did you think his LEDs were better? Nope. LOL!
3) Mike Paletta observed the increase in growth rate and coloration under his halides. He attributes the results to the probability of a bunch of other changes in the system, besides the halides, but if you watch the video he shows some preference to believe the halides are the main factor in that conversation. Finally some truth!! Videos below...
Those are just facts published all within a 2 week period, and that have been discussed/questioned for many years by LED users when we talk about halides. They finally published their ultimate preferences. I was happy to hear! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Anyways...
I'll try to communicate with Hamilton again by Friday. There are so many people trying to order!!!! Some of you guys should also call them and ask because anyone can and should call them. They will believe the urgency when you guys start to call! Ask also for ballast and fixtures, besides the bulbs, please.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright... I spoke with Hamilton today again. They said all light bulbs (10K, 14K, 20K) were already ordered and they are waiting for the production. Also 175W, 250W and 400W electronic ballasts were ordered and we will need to wait until they are available.
Now... They are excited to make modern new models of fixtures as well, but that will depend on the real demand for those fixtures!! They said they have received some emails lately that would lead them to that direction, but they still have to check if real numbers would define a significant demand.
Everyone interested in metal halides should email them requesting metal halide gear and specify what fixtures. There is even a possibility for a new modern Cebu Sun fixture, if so, similar to the Spectra from Giesemann with their own design. Email them, please! I receive so many messages from so many pople. I do not work for them and I can't decide anything for the company. I'm just a hobbyist, my friends. Let Hamilton know how much you want metal halide gear to be available now. This is a critical time to decide the availability of halides for this hobby.

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright... I spoke with Hamilton today again. They said all light bulbs (10K, 14K, 20K) were already ordered and they are waiting for the production. Also 175W, 250W and 400W electronic ballasts were ordered and we will need to wait until they are available.
Now... They are excited to make modern new models of fixtures as well, but that will depend on the real demand for those fixtures!! They said they have received some emails lately that would lead them to that direction, but they still have to check if real numbers would define a significant demand.
Everyone interested in metal halides should email them requesting metal halide gear and specify what fixtures. There is even a possibility for a new modern Cebu Sun fixture, if so, similar to the Spectra from Giesemann with their own design. Email them, please! I receive so many messages from so many pople. I do not work for them and I can't decide anything for the company. I'm just a hobbyist, my friends. Let Hamilton know how much you want metal halide gear to be available now. This is a critical time to decide the availability of halides for this hobby.
Great news!! Will be contacting them.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for getting this info. I will certainly be contacting them. You would think with only Reefbrite left in the aquarium MH world (US) that Hamilton would jump on this. Now I’m no business person at all but with some really good marketing I think they could probably sway some current reefers and maybe grab some new ones as well we could all hope.

I’m guessing here but I’d say plenty of newer reef keepers have never seen MH in real life. As someone who runs CoralCares and Radium’s on the same tank I like my led’s but love my MH’s. There is just no other look like it in my opinion.

Hopefully enough people reach out.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 Phoenix 250 de bulbs from Amazon a few months ago,there gone now ! I’m nervous if I find some more I’m going to get more . As it is I can wait 2 years, but if I can get 2-4 more I can sit on them for several years.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more for the collection... Finally!!! WWC uses Radions and preach them. Remember the main reason they started using the Radions was because of electricity consumption! I published that a decade ago when they changed and I called them to ask. It was all published here!
The COLORATION metal halide produces IS HARD TO MATCH!!!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reached out to Hamilton yesterday about bulbs and fixtures. Asked about an email notification for when bulbs are back in stock. Got a feeling they are going to sell out quick.

Curios if there are pics anywhere of the same colony grown under mh and led.
The trick is, corals have to be out of water and pics taken under natural sunlight.

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any one tried reef brite 6700k bulbs?
I want to try 6700k, but I cannot find any other brand than reef brite for 6700k.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back