Ragged tang fins in quarantine

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Here's my plan. I just did a FW dip on the Mimic. He went right into the Rally bath after followed by the Hippo. They'll hang out there for 90 min. In the mean time, I'll do a partial WC on the qt then start ramping the Coppersafe up as close to 24 hours as the fish will tolerate. I guess I'm watching for suppressed appetite as my clue to go slower? Later today the Furan2 goes in followed by the Kanaplex tomorrow. Sigh.

Thank you for advising me to wait another week (on another thread) just in case before they went into the display. This velvet is so tricky. There are absolutely no physical symptoms of velvet on these fish.

It's a good plan. Stick with it.

You are welcome. This is exactly why we wait and watch after a treatment. There are strains of velvet that don't show outwardly and can be difficult to catch in time to make a difference.

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for advising me to wait another week (on another thread) just in case before they went into the display. This velvet is so tricky. There are absolutely no physical symptoms of velvet on these fish.

What worries me is the idea that a fish can make it through QT and still be a carrier. I can't see how we protect ourselves from this except to copper everybody, which would be brutal.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What worries me is the idea that a fish can make it through QT and still be a carrier. I can't see how we protect ourselves from this except to copper everybody, which would be brutal.
I agree. I think moving forward I will just copper treat every fish. The last two run-ins with velvet I've had there have been no physical symptoms other than behavior, and the behavior didn't start until after two weeks of tank transfer, three weeks after in this case. It's truly frustrating.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the dinospores (free swimmers) invade the gills in sufficient numbers, that right there is enough to (literally) choke the life out of the fish before visible symptoms ever manifest.

Velvet is both dangerous and tricky.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the Furan2 an hour ago along with an air stone for extra oxygen. I am curious if I have this schedule down in combination with the Kanaplex starting tomorrow.
Day 1: Furan2
Day 2: Furan2 and Kanaplex
Day 3: 25%wc (add Kanaplex to new water to keep the correct dose) followed by another Furan2 dose
Day 4: Furan2 and Kanaplex
Day 5: 25%wc
Day 6: Kanaplex
This is what I figured was correct from the instructions, but I thought these were supposed to be given for 10 days?

Should I feed heavily before the Copper suppresses the appetites, or does that put me at risk of an ammonia spike with all these antibiotics? I want to avoid lots of water changes while using the antibiotics since it gets confusing and expensive [emoji15]

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got the dosing schedule right, but continue on for 10 days regardless of what the directions say.

I would probably feed a little extra now, in anticipation of inevitable appetite suppression.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is the fish have been in Copper for the second day and are still eating. After the FW dip yesterday I haven't seen anymore flashing from the Mimic tang. I started Kanaplex today as well.

Unfortunately, I missed my second Furan2 dose by 3 hours. I just added it, but how bad is it that rather than getting it in 24 hours later I did it at 27 hours?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I missed my second Furan2 dose by 3 hours. I just added it, but how bad is it that rather than getting it in 24 hours later I did it at 27 hours?

Not too bad. At least you remembered :) Keep plugging along. You're doing good.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today will be the 11th day of Furan2 and 10th day of Kanaplex, and I will be out of both at that point. Yesterday as I observed the Mimic tang I thought the fins looked better, almost as if they had been healing, and no new " tatters" had shown up once treatment has started.

However, that night I noticed what looked like a chunk missing out of the dorsal fin. This morning I see even more tattering of the dorsal fin. I don't understand? Why am I seeing new advancement of the infection on the LAST day of treatment? Now what do I do?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, that night I noticed what looked like a chunk missing out of the dorsal fin. This morning I see even more tattering of the dorsal fin. I don't understand? Why am I seeing new advancement of the infection on the LAST day of treatment? Now what do I do?

It's possible neither kanamycin or nitrofurazone are the best antibiotics to use for this particular infection. Also keep in mind that antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics provide the fish's immune system with a "helping hand" until the immune system can (hopefully) eliminate the harmful bacteria. If a fish has a weak immune system, then the use of antibiotics is only delaying the inevitable. :(

You can attempt to bolster a fish's immune system through proper nutrition and maintaining excellent water quality. A tang needs lots of greens, including nori. And the importance of feeding nutritious, vitamin enriched foods and foods with probiotics can not be overstated.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible neither kanamycin or nitrofurazone are the best antibiotics to use for this particular infection. Also keep in mind that antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics provide the fish's immune system with a "helping hand" until the immune system can (hopefully) eliminate the harmful bacteria. If a fish has a weak immune system, then the use of antibiotics is only delaying the inevitable. :(

You can attempt to bolster a fish's immune system through proper nutrition and maintaining excellent water quality. A tang needs lots of greens, including nori. And the importance of feeding nutritious, vitamin enriched foods and foods with probiotics can not be overstated.
So, at this point, maybe stop the antibiotics and focus more on nutrition? Doing water changes every 48 hours as the Furan2 says is really getting old. Ugh, this is such a shame.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm observing the qt tank from about 12 feet away, and I swear it looks like the little Hippo is nipping the dorsal fin! I can't tell for sure if it's just pestering it, or if there's actual contact, but the Mimic keeps twirling around to face off with her ! What are the odds that these are torn by the Hippo? I always thought they got along. Do tiny Hippos bite fins?

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move the hippo to a separate tank? Then see if the fins start to heal up.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move the hippo to a separate tank? Then see if the fins start to heal up.
I don't have another tank I can do copper in. I have a critter keeper I could isolate the Hippo in if that small space won't be too terrible just for the remainder of qt?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back