Rainbow BTA and Black Widow BTA spawning?!?!

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
TANK—
  • 36 gallon bowfront
  • LPS dominant
  • HOBs, canister, ×2 skimmers
  • 2 gallon water changes weekly
  • live stock: medium (8 fish)
  • coral stock: heavy aka stuffed
PARAMETERS—
  • salinity: 1.025
  • alk: 9dkH
  • ph: 8.1
  • temp: 78°
I currently have a 8" cube, containing a Rainbow BTA, and a Black Widow BTA. Theyve been living together just fine, no warfare, no fighting, etc. I tend to feed daily, just a few spurts of mysis and brine, while feeding my fish.

This morning, there is a new baby in the cube, beside the Black Widow, and the Rainbow is happily hanging out, on the outside wall of the cube. Sure, I know that some BTAs will reproduce by splitting, and asexually, or hermaphroditic methods. HOWEVER... this baby?

It has the specific tentacle shape of the Black Widow, has colors of the Rainbow on the left, and the colors of the Black Widow on the right half of it. Is this even possible, that they spawned together?! Has anyone had this happen before, or heard of it happening?!

NOTE: I'm working on getting pictures taken, but my phone is old and crappy, so bare with me! lol!

OP
OP
Salty Sea Flowers

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Most BTAs I have split equally but one clone line always has asymetric splits, so that's a possible explanation.
true, true! im about to get into the anem box and actually separate them, so i can see what their actual sizes are, compared to (what i think is) the original nem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back