Rainbow Chalice - Tips to Maximize Growth?

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this frag
IMG_5812.png
of SC Dynamite for about a year now, and it’s turned beautiful. I’ve always been amazed by pictures of rainbow chalices in the ShowOff Thread, but never thought I would actually have a gorgeous chalice worth showing off!

Does anyone have tips or tricks to maximize growth; feeding, higher flow etc? Tank is thriving with SPS but I want to give this guy a leg up anyway I can.

Cheers!

korallen-koch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this frag
IMG_5812.png
of SC Dynamite for about a year now, and it’s turned beautiful. I’ve always been amazed by pictures of rainbow chalices in the ShowOff Thread, but never thought I would actually have a gorgeous chalice worth showing off!

Does anyone have tips or tricks to maximize growth; feeding, higher flow etc? Tank is thriving with SPS but I want to give this guy a leg up anyway I can.

Cheers!
You can try to put it higher up. I read that some Chalice grow faster with more light but therefore don't get so colored. I keep a Flaming Bugatti on top of the reef under a ati hybrid an it grew from a tiny 0.5 inch frag to about 1.5 inch in diameter in 7 months.

R0032661.JPG R0032929.JPG

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Very nice!!
Proud Of You Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I bought a similar hyper watermelon chalice from TG and was thinking I should keep it in 100 par but speaking with them they kept it around 180-200. So I'm trying to raise my PAR slowly. What PAR do you keep that chalice in?

Feel like whatever you're doing it working well so I would be hesitate to change it.

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral growth is exponential, and chalices grow slowly. It may be helpful to show a few more pictures of it and determine how long it takes to double in size, and then you can make an estimation of how long it will take to get to show colony size. Chalices grow in low-light environments naturally, and since your piece appears to be settled in and showing excellent coloration, I'd just leave it and be patient.

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to put it higher up. I read that some Chalice grow faster with more light but therefore don't get so colored. I keep a Flaming Bugatti on top of the reef under a ati hybrid an it grew from a tiny 0.5 inch frag to about 1.5 inch in diameter in 7 months.

R0032661.JPG R0032929.JPG
I would say that pretty yyyy good growth for 7 months

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can also feed your chalice. Definitely help grow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back