Rainbow infusion turning white/clear

ckcustomz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of zoas,,, some grow like weeds and some are slow,,,,so thrive and some are not so big and puffy...i run rowaphos and no carbon or carbon dose...alk @8.. phos @0.03... nitrate @5ppm...some were just moved and have been closed...could be my flow but dont really know...here are some pics...some thrive and some dont
20180910_185121.jpg
20180910_185130.jpg

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ruled out shrimp or anything possibly eating them?

I'm not sure what would be eating them that would leave my blastos alone. I only ever had cleaner shrimp in the tanks and I never saw them anywhere near them. Never observed any fish or other inverts bothering them, even at night. They would look good for like a day, then start receding pretty rapidly. Favia has also done this in my systems as well.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what would be eating them that would leave my blastos alone. I only ever had cleaner shrimp in the tanks and I never saw them anywhere near them. Never observed any fish or other inverts bothering them, even at night. They would look good for like a day, then star receding pretty rapidly. Favia has also done this in my systems as well.
That's strange for sure. Typically if your blastos are happy I'd think the acans would flourish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How is water flow over them and do you have any pests including nudibranchs and asteria stars ( those little what people consider cute stars) that you be overlooking??

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is water flow over them and do you have any pests including nudibranchs and asteria stars ( those little what people consider cute stars) that you be overlooking??

Well, I haven't had any in a few months. The last one was a freebie frag I got about 4 months ago. The flow was medium-low, in very similar flow and lighting as the blastos. No pests that I know of.

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed you run t5 lighting, could it be possible that they are ready for a change? I'm just thinking out of the box right now.
Few weeks ago a guy on here had improvement in his zoa's by changing old bulbs.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, I haven't had any in a few months. The last one was a freebie frag I got about 4 months ago. The flow was medium-low, in very similar flow and lighting as the blastos. No pests that I know of.

Try dipping them

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed you run t5 lighting, could it be possible that they are ready for a change? I'm just thinking out of the box right now.
Few weeks ago a guy on here had improvement in his zoa's by changing old bulbs.

Bulbs are only 3 months old.

6 line wrasse cured my melt down. Zoas are now taking over tank. I have what is called a zoa garden. 2 cents only.

They are in a tank with 2 halichoeres wrasses, so pests really shouldn't be an issue.

Try dipping them

I always dip my coral. If I ever get any in the future, they will be dipped as well, probably in bayer.

Long story short, I had my zoas under about 1/3 of the par I thought they were under. I lowered my fixture today and the infusions are now in about 130-150 par. Towards the end of the day, the smaller polyps were starting to open up a bit more. I am planning on doing an iodine dip and then see how they respond to the higher light.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bulbs are only 3 months old.

They are in a tank with 2 halichoeres wrasses, so pests really shouldn't be an issue.

I always dip my coral. If I ever get any in the future, they will be dipped as well, probably in bayer.

Long story short, I had my zoas under about 1/3 of the par I thought they were under. I lowered my fixture today and the infusions are now in about 130-150 par. Towards the end of the day, the smaller polyps were starting to open up a bit more. I am planning on doing an iodine dip and then see how they respond to the higher light.

I meant- dip them again. They usually respond well after meltdown

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back