Raise NO3 with sodium nitrate

mattfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you can help , i purchased some sodium nitrate from LoudWolf , it comes in two 4 ounce bottles with no instructions , i called them to no avail , --
I have 120 gal volume , current NO3 is 5ppm and want to raise to 15ppm no3. I tried to use the calculator that Randy Holmes recommended , buy frankly it didnt make sense to me. Can you tell me in kitchen terms how much power to use per gallon per day diluted . i generaly use teaspoons ,i dont think most people use gram spoons, but if there is a better way to measure it i am all ears.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you can help , i purchased some sodium nitrate from LoudWolf , it comes in two 4 ounce bottles with no instructions , i called them to no avail , --
I have 120 gal volume , current NO3 is 5ppm and want to raise to 15ppm no3. I tried to use the calculator that Randy Holmes recommended , buy frankly it didnt make sense to me. Can you tell me in kitchen terms how much power to use per gallon per day diluted . i generaly use teaspoons ,i dont think most people use gram spoons, but if there is a better way to measure it i am all ears.

Instructions from them? Maybe for sausage making. They are not an aquarium related company.

This calculator includes teaspoons and tablespoons. Use the entry for potassium nitrate and use 15% less than it says:

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went by the calculator Randy recommends as well for the LoudWolf sodium nitrate.

I wanted to figure out how many grams I needed to add to 100ml of rodi water so that 10ml of that solution would raise nitrates by 1ppm in my 400gal system. I entered 400 for "Tank Volume", 100 for "Amount of water to mix with", 10 for "Each xx ml".

Then I played with "Amount to add" until the solution came to .85ppm (.85 instead of 1 to account for the 15% less randy mentioned). Which for me came to 21 grams. I used this cheap scale to weigh it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instructions from them? Maybe for sausage making. They are not an aquarium related company.

This calculator includes teaspoons and tablespoons. Use the entry for potassium nitrate and use 15% less than it says:

Yea , they told me they use it for Beef Jerky , Thanks Randy , had trouble with the calculator first , went back to it and figured it out .

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back