Raising baby brine shrimp in a mason jar

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have two mason jars with aerators and Ive been raising brine for 3 days I wanted to know if this is ok and if there is anything I need to know to feed or maintain them I feed them currently flour

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of feeding them flour. I used finely ground fish food dust and that seemed to work for the one culture I made. As long as they are growing it should be fine, just be aware that the lids and rings that normally come with the jar will corrode with saltwater.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of feeding them flour. I used finely ground fish food dust and that seemed to work for the one culture I made. As long as they are growing it should be fine, just be aware that the lids and rings that normally come with the jar will corrode with saltwater.

Ok thank you but I read about the flour in articles and on YouTube videos can I fee zooplankton to them?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you but I read about the flour in articles and on YouTube videos can I fee zooplankton to them?
Zooplankton may be too big for freshly hatched brine shrimp but may work for adults, not entirely sure.

pandagobyguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Maybe you heard about yeast? Never heard of flour but yeast is a usable option. In my experience it works pretty well but best growth is from spirulina powder or live phyto. Hope this helps.

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp are most nutritious for your fish when newly hatched see Paul b’s numerous threads on the topic

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Maybe you heard about yeast? Never heard of flour but yeast is a usable option. In my experience it works pretty well but best growth is from spirulina powder or live phyto. Hope this helps.

Yes I have thank you very much

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back