OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A response to new strains of bacteria being added maybe? Or maybe they're just greeting their new friends.
True, biologist say, longer they live in captivity , more bacteria from coral grows. They sense new bacteria. Thanks for info

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last two weeks notice this:

1. Change temp to decrease chiller time, not good. From 77 to 80
2. Because of type of carbon used it was like sand in texture(Hiatt is pellet, it works fine). Clogged quick and effected Boilogical cycling
3. Need to remember, feed enough to where water is just noticeable green tint in tank, do that before adding corals, period
4. Aclimate sloooowly
5. Make no changes when corals already in tank. Think ahead. Any changes to water chemistry after corals added, equal trouble

Not doing this cost me $1000+

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2. Because of type of carbon used it was like sand in texture. Clogged quick and effected Boilogical cycling
3. Need to remember, feed enough to where water is just noticeable green tint in tank, do that before adding corals, period
4. Aclimate sloooowly
5. Make no changes when corals already in tank. Think ahead. Any changes to water chemistry after corals added, equal trouble
10/20/18 is one year

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom, speak of the devil. When do you start moving your children of the sea?

We closed the museum five days ago, so we will start setup the temporary tanks soon. Just waiting for the tanks and some materials for the stands. Think I will start a new thread on the moving and making of the temporary Aquarium. Just need to find some time and energy:)

Our Scleronephtyas are shrinking I'm afraid. Raised the dosing of some of the phytoplankton last week. Might try adding some other food too.
One of the Dendronephthya is still looking well, the yellow one. I hope it's a super colony that tolerates more then the Scleronephthya :)

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We closed the museum five days ago, so we will start setup the temporary tanks soon. Just waiting for the tanks and some materials for the stands. Think I will start a new thread on the moving and making of the temporary Aquarium. Just need to find some time and energy:)

Our Scleronephtyas are shrinking I'm afraid. Raised the dosing of some of the phytoplankton last week. Might try adding some other food too.
One of the Dendronephthya is still looking well, the yellow one. I hope it's a super colony that tolerates more then the Scleronephthya :)
It'll come down to food. I think. Bummer

Take pictures then eventually start thread

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread to follow. Love hearing about these guys as they are some of my favorites. I would never get them though as I do not have the set up.
They need their own type setup. Even then, if water flow not right, if food not proper type, or not enough food, many variables.
I keep going, because now with coral bans , more reason to strive for aquaculture. Going soon one year, fine tuning still.
Understanding them alot better. Stay tune.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, when you have it perfected, you can pass the system knowledge and feeding regiment on to us lazy ;Wacky people who let you do all the work. Then others can grow them too. Love the work you are doing!!!
;Happy

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2. Because of type of carbon used it was like sand in texture(Hiatt is pellet, it works fine). Clogged quick and effected Boilogical cycling
4. Aclimate sloooowly

Not doing this cost me $1000+
Didn't want to hit 'like' because that is just depressing.
[emoji53]

Sorry to hear about the loss!

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't want to hit 'like' because that is just depressing.
[emoji53]

Sorry to hear about the loss!
Thanks

Kinda figured, if used ton load of activated carbon, then biological load will keep up with heavy feeding. Planning
New filtration system, should work lot better. Stay tune

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, going with this tank, why?

1. Less water to deal with.
2. The stream pumps (eflux ) will move food in water easier
3. Easier to add corals
4. Chiller will work less. Tank cooler in home

20180923_104244.jpg

20180923_104252.jpg

20180923_104325.jpg

Filtration will be like pool sand filtration, but with 2cuf of carbon to start and be able to add much more carbon as needed.
Why activated carbon? Has the most surface area, also will have crush coral , stay tune

Last edited:

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your recent hiccups, but happy to hear you're going to keep pushing forward on this project and pushing the limits. I agree that aquaculture is really crucial right now for many reasons.

I couldn't find any mention in the thread, but have you looked at any of the automatic filter paper rollers like Klir or Theiling? I know keeping lots of food in suspension is likely ultimately the key to success for these species, but I wonder if completely scrubbing the water of food particles downdstream of the corals and upping the feeding upstream might help to feed even more without the water quality issues?

Good luck on the next round!

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your recent hiccups, but happy to hear you're going to keep pushing forward on this project and pushing the limits. I agree that aquaculture is really crucial right now for many reasons.

I couldn't find any mention in the thread, but have you looked at any of the automatic filter paper rollers like Klir or Theiling? I know keeping lots of food in suspension is likely ultimately the key to success for these species, but I wonder if completely scrubbing the water of food particles downdstream of the corals and upping the feeding upstream might help to feed even more without the water quality issues?

Good luck on the next round!
With time I will need to incorporate the filter paper roller.
Because of small tank, hoping food suspension should work
The Hiatt filtration system helps tremendously.

Thanks for input

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back