QT Procedure Next Step Advice

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering what my next QT step should be...

Some history
Using a new, fully cycled 20 gal I added 4 small tank raised fish, 2 clowns and 2 hippo tangs. The LFS told me they run copper 24/7 and the fish were in the store for at least two months, looked healthy / eating.

First three weeks no issues. Eating well, frozen mysis, frozen loaded brine and TDO xtra small pellets. Main display tank is also new, just about cycled and ready for fish - all is good right?

3 weeks into my observation only QT procedure I noticed what I think is a tang scraping the PVC. No head shakes and no visible signs of disease on any fish but don't know that I can get a good enough look to see flukes etc.

So I decided to treat with Prazipro twice 5 days apart (4.5ml for 18gal of water each time) with no carbon/UV/skimmer and doing water changes as prescribed. Tank parameters still good. 24 hours after the 2nd treatment a tang was scraping. The video attached shows the scraping at the start and end of the video. Only saw it this one time but I believe it was scraping on the PVC or was it that the clown was too close? One clown does look like it has a chomp out of it's dorsal fin that wasn't there when they went into the tank.

What should my next step be? More observation, more treatment with something else, was this just tang aggression or should I do something else?

Thanks for your responses.

Attachments

• QT Tang 030724.mp4
    68 MB
OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response. The fish look bigger in the video than they are. The clowns are 3/4" and tangs about 1".

I can do copper but I haven't because the LFS said they run copper 24/7. You are saying do it anyway though.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper from my understanding is the most effective to be rid of parasites, but again wait for others to chime in because I don't have too much experience with treatment other than prazipro (I haven't used copper because I don't QT and my display is a mixed reef)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be the tang is showing aggression to the other tang?
AS far as copper. I dont use it. I do the TTM method with Prazi in the middle and the end before going in the main display.

OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is ready for fish but I'm hesitant to move these fish because of what could be flashing on the video. I haven't seen them do it since.

Any thoughts on what my next step should be?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I/Me would:
If they have not done it in a few days I would prazi pro them for a few hours then move them to the main tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consulted the LFS experts and learned a few things. Instead of going straight to Prazipro when I saw the tang scraping a fresh water dip was recommended. It is easier on the fish and it would have confirmed flukes it they were present by looking in the container. You can always go to Prazipro later if needed.

Since they were in copper for about 8 weeks at the LFS, 5 weeks in my QT, I treated 2 rounds of Prazipro, and there are no visible signs on any of the fish they said go ahead and put them in the main display.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back