Clown Tang Sudden Death

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help in understanding what happened.

I purchased a few fish from my lfs on Saturday and brought home: foxface rabbitfish, blonde naso, clown Tang and moon wrasse.

I set up my 40 gal QT, using fresh salt water I mix for my primary 280g tank - RO water, Fritz RPM made approx 2 weeks ago. Put water into QT and warmed to 78 degrees, and cycled for 4 hours while warming.

Once warmed appropriately, I did a 10 min freshwater dip (no parasites seen) and then added to QT.

My plan was to observe for 1 week, then prophylactically treat with copper - so no copper added.

I woke up Sunday morning, clown tang was dead, all others fine (foxface dark and hiding, but that's normal in my experience).

I tested - all levels look fine, Ph 8.0, zero ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.

Assume there was an isolated issue, brought fish to the lfs, got another approx 3" clown tang. Repeated same process to add. Seemed ok last night, possibly a little stressed. This morning seemed more acclimated, swimming around.

Just got home from work... Clown on the bottom of the tank! All the others still look good and I'm really at a loss. I hate that I may have killed two fish and have no idea why or what I may have in advertently done.

Anyone have thoughts on what might have happened or other things to check? I really don't want to loose the three fish in the QT.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible that batch of clown tangs were collected with cyanide. I’ve had this happen with fish in the past and if all your other fish are good it’s definitely a suspect.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, the owner told me they had the fish for a week or two - I know it's less than two as that was the last time I was in. Wouldn't that have presented earlier if so?

I just check chems again: ammonia zero, nitrite zero.

Salinity is 1.027 SG.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. My first thought would be an unhealthy batch of Clown Tangs. But that’s only if they all came from the same wholesaler at the same time.

A 10 min freshwater dip is pretty long. Mine don’t go past 5 min. Salinity is high too, but that’s not necessarily the culprit either. If the tank was fully cycled and all the other fish are doing well, ammonia likely isn’t the problem.

FWIW, I think you’re better off buying all Acanthurus Tangs from a vendor who quarantines them first. Even more than other types of fish. In other words, fish that have been held in therapeutic copper for at least 2 weeks and feeding aggressively. Clown Tangs aren’t difficult to keep if they’re healthy to begin with.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, the owner told me they had the fish for a week or two - I know it's less than two as that was the last time I was in. Wouldn't that have presented earlier if so?

I just check chems again: ammonia zero, nitrite zero.

Salinity is 1.027 SG.
Salinity is a tad high but nothing that would create a problem. Again the cyanide is just a theory but I’ve lost fish in the manner you’re dealing with as have others while all other fish were fine. I’ve read a few threads that speak to it but being a possibility and several more knowledgeable people than me believe that fish still captured in this manner. This day and age I’m inclined to believe it.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This LFS isn't huge, so I'd imagine they all came together. They were selling 3 medium clown tangs, two of which I bought.

I don't want to just take the easy way out, but it is very suspect that two fish died this quickly. But it's also odd that they seemed fine in the little display cubes at the store.

I really just want to understand if I could have done something different. Always trying to learn and improve.

Last thing, neither fish had any noticable issues. No wounds, discoloration, or other visible signs of distress.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This LFS isn't huge, so I'd imagine they all came together. They were selling 3 medium clown tangs, two of which I bought.

I don't want to just take the easy way out, but it is very suspect that two fish died this quickly. But it's also odd that they seemed fine in the little display cubes at the store.

I really just want to understand if I could have done something different. Always trying to learn and improve.

Last thing, neither fish had any noticable issues. No wounds, discoloration, or other visible signs of distress.
That’s laudable. You didn’t do anything wrong. I’d say the only thing you could do differently would be to buy one from a quarantined (or at least conditioned) vendor.

I got my Clown Tang a couple of years ago from Divers Den, put him through a 30 day QT at home and he’s done great ever since. If they come in healthy they tend to do well.

Totroc3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve bought from them several times and they stand behind their fish. I lost a couple and they quickly and politely replaced them. The issues were fish that didn’t survive the transport. I’ve never had a sick fish from them.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Dr. Reef? Looks like a good quarantine protocol, and prices and selection are pretty good.

Anyone have experience with them recently?
I would do reefbeauties! Theyve got some clown tangs and all the fish Ive gotten from them come healthy! Also they have a 15 day policy on fish that are not “expert” level

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back