Raising nitrate and phosphate

PRReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 75 gallon tank with another roughly 40 gallons in the sump and fuge. My tank recently went basically fallow for two years with nothing but a few corals plugs and two clownfish. Recently ive been getting back into it and have been doing 15 gallon water changes with tropic marins classic salt every two weeks for about 3 months now. I got my water tested at two pet stores located an hour away and some parameters matched, others didnt about 3 weeks ago. One thing they both read was unreadably low phosphate and nitrate (as well as nitrite and ammonia). Currently I can test for Ca 450 (was much lower been raising for 3 weeks), alkalinity reads between 8.75 and 9.3, and magnesium 1275 (bit low). I know I have to raise the nitrates and phosphates; the plan was to overfeed. I have been doing so for 3 weeks and I have psammi, a scoli, blasto, cyphastea, and Duncan growing reasonably well even when the tank was fallow. New frags include a monti cap, tiny torch, palygyra, acan, war coral, and another cyphastrea and they were all doing great for a few weeks. This morning the monti cap has considerable skeleton showing. I have it placed in higher flow and near the very top of my rockscape. Maxspects r200 LED are lighting. I’m assuming the problem is the low phosphates or nitrates, but like the name says I’m a bit of a noob. Does that seem to sound right? How long would over feeding with rods food take to raise the nitrates from nothing to something like 5 or 10? I know there’s lots of variables but I’m trying to figure out if I should buy something to dose (is so what? I’m relatively broke… two kids in two travel sports each) because over feeding alone is too slow. I did lose one of the new fish, a 2.5-3” mandarin fish that I cannot find and remove… so it’s possible the ammonia is spiking? I run a huge reef octopus, filter socks, and a 25 gallon fuge. I plan to test nitrates when I get home today and realize my overall testing leaves much to be desired. That said I’d appreciate any theories, advice, or spitballed ideas! Thanks a ton Phil.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank was not fallowed if you had fish and coral in it. As to your question it depends on how much coral. If you want nutrients up quickly your best bet is to dose. Overfeeding will take a long time if you have a large amount of coral uptake and can lead to a host of other issues.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely keep a little no3 and po4 in there. You don't want to end up with something like Dinos.
The simplest thing for now would be to dose. You could source the raw materials for cheap or your tank is small enough to just buy the bottled stuff. I use NeoPhos and NeoNitro.

OP
OP
P

PRReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank was not fallowed if you had fish and coral in it. As to your question it depends on how much coral. If you want nutrients up quickly your best bet is to dose. Overfeeding will take a long time if you have a large amount of coral uptake and can lead to a host of other issues.
Thanks. I didn’t realize to go fallow every coral and fish needs to be gone, but that makes sense. There really isn’t much coral, 10-12 frags. Sounds like I should get a Hanna phosphate ULR and start tracking phosphate and nitrate and look into dosing. Hopefully that’s the issue! I appreciate the reply!

OP
OP
P

PRReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely keep a little no3 and po4 in there. You don't want to end up with something like Dinos.
The simplest thing for now would be to dose. You could source the raw materials for cheap or your tank is small enough to just buy the bottled stuff. I use NeoPhos and NeoNitro.

Thanks that’s going to be my plan! I appreciate the links!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I didn’t realize to go fallow every coral and fish needs to be gone, but that makes sense. There really isn’t much coral, 10-12 frags. Sounds like I should get a Hanna phosphate ULR and start tracking phosphate and nitrate and look into dosing. Hopefully that’s the issue! I appreciate the reply!

If it were me personally I would try a small bottle of NeoNitro first. You may be able to get away with a couple large doses then taper off. On the flip side you could end up with tanks like mine that need 3-5ppm per day. Before you drop money on a large bottle you may never use I would try the small.

OP
OP
P

PRReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me personally I would try a small bottle of NeoNitro first. You may be able to get away with a couple large doses then taper off. On the flip side you could end up with tanks like mine that need 3-5ppm per day. Before you drop money on a large bottle you may never use I would try the small.
That’s smart! I’m not in a position currently to spend lots on the tank so that’s probably the most reasonable way to go! Fingers crossed!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back