Raising nitrates

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are currently at 1ppm and phos at .03. Ive tried to feed more to raise my nitrate but does not seem to be working. What products are available to slowly raise nitrates. Am i at risk to get dinos with my nitrate so low. My rocks are mostly algea free but ive been seeing occasionally almost hairlike brown algae. It like one or two strands then disappears. The rest of the algea my blenny and astrea snails have been slowly taking down.
A485F2CC-606F-460D-9E1C-5194975B86D2.jpeg
8724E531-0B26-499F-A442-B3E212F8B816.jpeg
The Hornimann museum in the UK is successfully spawning various corals species. They were adding a supplement to maintain elevated NO3 concentrations, but abandoned this approach in favor of adding more fishes to the system.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense you would need to feed 8 cubes and probably more :)
But not at one time. Little meals all day long. If I were to dump 8 cubes (plus Nori) at one time, 50% would probably not get eaten and rot, which would drive my nitrates sky high.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But not at one time. Little meals all day long. If I were to dump 8 cubes (plus Nori) at one time, 50% would probably not get eaten and rot, which would drive my nitrates sky high.
Ive started to feed in the morning and feed my corals at night. Cant wait for my candy cane and Duncan to take off. Currently at 4 going to 5 heads for the candy cane

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive started to feed in the morning and feed my corals at night. Cant wait for my candy cane and Duncan to take off. Currently at 4 going to 5 heads for the candy cane
Nice! We just sold a candy cane that had 70+ heads, now I have 6

mattfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed LoudWolf brand sodium nitrate to elevate nitrates. It worked very well.
Took your advice and got some LoudWolf brand sodium nitrate , can you tell me how much you used ? ml per gal ? i have current NO3 at 5 , trying to go to 15 , hope you can help.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took your advice and got some LoudWolf brand sodium nitrate , can you tell me how much you used ? ml per gal ? i have current NO3 at 5 , trying to go to 15 , hope you can help.

I use the calculator on this website to mix the solution and to find the approx increase in no3 per 1mL dosed.

They don't have Sodium Nitrate as an option, but you can use the Potassium Nitrate results. There is an additional calculation to convert the potassium nitrate results to Sodium nitrate results. But, it really isn't that big of a difference...and additional math makes my head hurt.

I typically mix my solutions with 500mL of RODI water... for example, if you mixed 10 tablespoons sodium nitrate with 250ml water, then every 1ml dosed would raise your nitrates by 1.17ppm (in a 100g total water system). It's ballpark figure... si it won't be exact but it is close.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back