Raising par

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys ,
Ahead of my new popbloom rs90s arriving I’m asking the question now…

How much par per day to increase?
I’m thinking 10 micro moles / par per day for 30 days to reach my target of 380 as I have a maxima currently and plan a forest of acros when it’s up to 300 .
Now, some will say that too much per day but I’d like to know what people do when they buy an acro colony for instance from their lfs with unknown par ?
I read that some put low down and increase height over x amount of weeks but this is guess work most of the time as I don’t see a lot of people paying attention to par because everything’s fine and growing but I’m looking for a more methodical approach to know if somethings not right I can rule out lights , water quality right now is spot on and my current 40x turnover flow will go to 60x next week so again, I can rule that out
For water clarity and something else to play with will be raising my orp from 190 to 350 by means of ozone into my skimmer

A lot of changes I know but I want to be able to keep anything I want without restrictions

Looking forward to your thoughts on this , I know it’s a lot but please chirp in

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it’s cloudy for a week then full sun what kind of jumps are we talking 50 par - 700 par? In a day ?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it’s cloudy for a week then full sun what kind of jumps are we talking 50 par - 700 par? In a day ?
This gives an idea of daily...You can sort of extrapolate what your situation would involve .
High clouds were present for only a few minutes in the late afternoon (about 3:45 to 4:30 pm)
Or...
If you can see your shadow, but there are clouds between you and the sun, then expect the PAR to be reduced by about 25%.
If the clouds block so much light that you cannot see your shadow, but you can still tell which part of the sky the sun is in, expect the PAR to be reduced by about 50%.
If you cannot see your shadow, and at the same time the clouds are so thick that you cannot tell where the sun is in the sky, then expect the PAR to be reduced by about 75%.

You could start w/ full sun par of about 2000...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point exactly, so what’s all this fuss about low increases daily or weekly and taking months to reach your target

cbranin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point exactly, so what’s all this fuss about low increases daily or weekly and taking months to reach your target
Those corals been living in that tide pool for most likely thousands of years and have adapted. Take another coral living 20 feet deep and throw it into that pool; it’ll probably bleach..

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because in practice those "house corals" that have been acclimated to a long term steady state conditions aren't as flexible.
Why is a good question and to make it more confusing.. this non-flexibility seems to affect leds more than other forms of lighting. There is less "tolerance" to change or so it seems..
YMMV.

And probably a bunch of other thing like zoo clades, species of corals, amounts of "sunscreens" present ect
may affect it.

I've seen the debate for 10 years and there is nothing concrete as to "exactly why" the led thing seems to exist.
Some blame lenses or amount of pure blue par..

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those corals been living in that tide pool for most likely thousands of years and have adapted. Take another coral living 20 feet deep and throw it into that pool; it’ll probably bleach..
That to. There are legit papers on it. But there is a species dependency.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what about clams when in low tide are even out the water for a small period of time

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what about clams when in low tide are even out the water for a small period of time
Some species have a high tolerance to ppfd levels naturally.
They can still take more than you can give them - Dana Riddle has tried to find saturation points with T. clams, and was not really able to. Some are out of the water, or just a few inches below the water in full sunlight at 2300 PAR... some are deeper. They digest excess zoox since they have a stomach and stuff.

They just don't "shut down" (light saturation,photo inhibition) like most high light corals do at around 350 PPFD (number varies by species) .
Sure you can get corals exposed like that as well but I'd not call them "happy" just in survival mode.
Heavy slime layers, lots of MMA and sunscreens.
They just happen to be better at it than other things. So they can dominate.
If they had a brain and voice I'm pretty sure they'd say that they really could do without the exposure. ;)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back