Raising Phosphates

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a ton of threads on here already so I apologize in advance for the redundancy.

I am trying to raise phosphates in my tank. I started dosing nitrates a few weeks ago to get them above 0 and in the process I seem to have bottomed out my phosphates. I understand why this happened, and now I need to fix it. To make matters worse, I've been tinkering with the lighting recently because I thought the problems I was having was related to PAR, not nutrients, but that's a different story altogether.

I have been conservatively dosing Brightwell's NeoPhos (6mL/day, ~100 gal tank) for three days and the phosphate has not budged. I understand that the rock/sand is likely absorbing the phosphate which is why my readings are still undetectable with Hanna ULR Phosphorus, in as little as 60 mins after dosing.

My question is this - how quickly can I re dose without causing the opposite problem (and the algae that will surely ensue if I dose too much, too quickly). The bottle says 24 hours, but considering how quickly the rocks are sucking up the phosphate, I could be here a while... If the readings are still 0 after an hour, is it safe to add another dose?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed about 1.5 weeks before I had detectable readings the next day in a 75.

Using seachems flourish phosphate I dosed once in the morning and once in the evening, using the full dose calculated to get the level I was looking for .1 ppm

You may be able to dose a little faster at first until your rock and sand stop absorbing it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the readings are still 0 after an hour, is it safe to add another dose?

Yes. If you believe your kit, as soon as you are below your target level, I'd dose more phosphate.

OP
OP
tnc112105

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Biglew11. After you started getting detectable readings and/or reached your target level, did you have to continue dosing phosphate or was regular feeding enough to maintain it? Did you have any issues with algae during or after dosing? I know phosphate absorbtion by the rock and sand is inevitable, but most times you hear about it it seems to be associated with leaching and/or algae issues.

OP
OP
tnc112105

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley! I can double check it against an expired Salifert kit I have, but I don't know how useful that would be. Is it known how quickly rock binds phosphate? It appears to be incredibly fast as the dose I am using should raise the level to 0.02ppm and I am still getting a solid 0 from the Hanna after 1 hour.

Also, should I be concerned about elevating other elements by dosing too quickly? Unfortunately Brightwell does not disclose what type of phosphate salts they use - only that it is a "proprietary blend".

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing about 3 weeks ago so I'm still dosing. About every other day now, I'm also carbon dosing to get my nitrates down wich is eating my phosphates some.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley! I can double check it against an expired Salifert kit I have, but I don't know how useful that would be. Is it known how quickly rock binds phosphate? It appears to be incredibly fast as the dose I am using should raise the level to 0.02ppm and I am still getting a solid 0 from the Hanna after 1 hour.

Also, should I be concerned about elevating other elements by dosing too quickly? Unfortunately Brightwell does not disclose what type of phosphate salts they use - only that it is a "proprietary blend".

Yes, it is fast. It is exactly like phosphate binding to GFO.

There's no concern what cation is. Probably mostly sodium and a little potassium in a commercial mixed product.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back