Raising Pinctada maxima Black Lipped Oyster

  • Thread starter Thread starter JiminyCat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JiminyCat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2013
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Location
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the oyster cultured in Tahitian waters for black pearls. Is it possible to tank raise them (in a reef setup)? Can the animals themselves be purchased anywhere? Odd question I know.... But I'm a Gemologist ;-)


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
This is the oyster cultured in Tahitian waters for black pearls. Is it possible to tank raise them (in a reef setup)? Can the animals themselves be purchased anywhere? Odd question I know.... But I'm a Gemologist ;-)


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

I imagine they'd do fine in a reef setup. However it'd be impossible to find one on the market.



Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I'd suspect they would be near impossible to find in the aquarium trade as they are not outwardly attractive. But it would be cool to have.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new