Raising PO4

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing TSP. I started with testing using it dry. Once I figured out what my tank needed I made up a liquid solution. I have my doser adding it once every few hours now. PO4 level is now staying at .08. It's been about a week now and I've noticed the colors of my corals have improved. I have a scrubber which quickly consumes my NO3 and PO4.

Rick Gaas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, any place I should be able to find food grade trisodium phosphate locally? Lowe’s, Walgreens???

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed phosphate in the past because of consistent 0 reading on the hannah ULR phosphorus reader. If I dose or feed more I start getting some algae on the rock. I stopped dosing and stopped check phosphorus for now and just watch the hair algae. If it starts to take off I slow down on feeding. If it looks like it's going away I bulb up the feeding a bit. Got sick of chasing a number.

That being said I'm starting to question the value of the inorganic phosphorus result from test kits. I think it's just more of a feedback for how much youre feeding/exporting, not necessarily a super important number that you have to have at a certain number.

I still read 0 whenever I check and i feed a LOT. only export is a skimmer, chaeto and 1% daily water change. According to some, a zero reading would mean dead coral. Here are some pics of what 0 ppb P looks like in my tank. As you can see I have some algae and some colorful coral.

received_10106429606124702.jpeg
received_10106429830155742.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking what chemical or what mechanics?

Kind of both. His method of dosing, as well as which salt he was using. I see some are dosing straight powder, and others are making a solution with RODI water. Someone even asked about mixing their solution in their NOPOX, if I read it correctly. I'd much rather make my own phosphate additive, than buy one on the market, but I need to understand the chemistry behind it a bit more.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no reason to dose the powder and I don’t know of anyone who does.

Some use dosing pumps, but once a day manual works fine.

the best chemicals are good quality sodium nitrate and phosphate, or potassium versions.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no reason to dose the powder and I don’t know of anyone who does.

Some use dosing pumps, but once a day manual works fine.

the best chemicals are good quality sodium nitrate and phosphate, or potassium versions.

I will look for good sodium phosphate compounds then. Thanks Randy!

Theo_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the potassium phosphate monobasic, is there a specific amount that you should mix and a specific amount to add per gallon? @Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For our purposes, where highly exact dosing doesn't even make sense since so much will be bound to rock and sand, this calculator is adequate for any sodium or potassium phosphate. Just alter the dose up or down going forward as needed. Use the entry for "phosphate from potassium phosphate"

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back