Random and spontaneous fish deaths

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So yesterday, my royal gramma vanished. In the morning, he was out and about, eating very well, breathing fine, acting his usual self—and then poof. No body on the carpet, no prior signs of health decline. This would be the fourth time something like this has happened (though I’ve honestly lost count), in which a fish that is healthy, eating, and getting along with tankmates disappears out of the blue. At this point, I’ve tried everything. I’ve increased oxygenation, improved filtration, changed feeding habits, removed potentially aggressive fish, and even did a factory reset of the tank, in which I pulled all the sand out and searched for potential bobbits or mantis shrimp. And yet, it happened again. Is there any reason that I could be missing as to how a fish that is perfectly healthy can vanish without a trace? In the past, I’ve chalked it up as an aggression issue, but clearly, even with no more clownfish or angelfish, the problem persists without cause. It’s become so disheartening that I’m at a point where, despite doing everything right, I fully expect my fish to eventually disappear or die. Is there anything else I’m missing? While I’d love to continue with this trial-and-error method, it’s getting pretty expensive buying new fish every few months.

Current tankmates: longnose hawkfish, firefish, orange spotted blenny

Nitrate: 7.5 ppm
Phosphate: 1.0 (this is a persistent issue with my source water that always has me scratching my head. Could this be correlated with spontaneous fish deaths?)
Alkalinity: 6.8 (need to get back on track with alk dosing)
pH: 8.0

I also quarantine all new fish, hitting them with 30 days copper and full prazi treatment. When it came to the gramma, it was looking healthy even before treatment, so I strongly doubt any disease is at play (or at least any common or treatable illnesses). The deaths are also not sequential, but each occurred at isolated moments over the past year or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this time the gramma actually showed up! However, this scar on his face indicates that it may have been attacked, which would explain why it went into hiding. Gonna have to get him into quarantine and treat antibiotics, then figure out who the aggressor is.
At least this time there’s an explanation for the fish’s disappearance—though still not quite sure on what happened with the past few…
IMG_9769.jpeg

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this time the gramma actually showed up! However, this scar on his face indicates that it may have been attacked, which would explain why it went into hiding. Gonna have to get him into quarantine and treat antibiotics, then figure out who the aggressor is.
IMG_9769.jpeg

I would not do antibiotics right away

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok—should I just leave it in the DT and observe its behavior?
That looks like a bite.
I’d just watch him, but clearly, someone known or unknown is an issue. You only have him with three others, the firefish nope, but the hawkfish……maybe…..mine took out two large shrimps in seconds.

Or it something unknown, but likely fast, not like a crab.

Did you use live rock?
What fish is in the upper left hand corner in that pic.?
Is that the orange back?

I have an orchid dottyback which had a bite like that. Did nothing and healed itself in a month fully.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a bite.
I’d just watch him, but clearly, someone known or unknown is an issue. You only have him with three others, the firefish nope, but the hawkfish……maybe…..mine took out two large shrimps in seconds.

Or it something unknown, but likely fast, not like a crab.

Did you use live rock?
What fish is in the upper left hand corner in that pic.?
Is that the orange back?

I have an orchid dottyback which had a bite like that. Did nothing and healed itself in a month fully.
I used caribsea liferock for my aquarium (though have purchased rocks with coral colonies attached from the LFS). The upper left fish is the Hawkfish. Right now, I’m eyeing the blenny for aggressive behavior. Though I’ve never seen it go after the gramma, I have frequently witnessed it bite the Hawkfish. Considering moving the gramma into an isolation box to better see the bite, though this morning it’s acting as though nothing ever happened.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used caribsea liferock for my aquarium (though have purchased rocks with coral colonies attached from the LFS). The upper left fish is the Hawkfish. Right now, I’m eyeing the blenny for aggressive behavior. Though I’ve never seen it go after the gramma, I have frequently witnessed it bite the Hawkfish. Considering moving the gramma into an isolation box to better see the bite, though this morning it’s acting as though nothing ever happened.
Better to do nothing.
It will only add stress.
Was the orange spot in the tank when you lost the Bangaii?
What happen to the wrasse? Same?
Good thing is he’s alive….
If he eats, he’s good.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to do nothing.
It will only add stress.
Was the orange spot in the tank when you lost the Bangaii?
What happen to the wrasse? Same?
The orange spot was in the tank with the banggai—though given both cardinals died the same way, I’d assume iridovirus was the cause. The wrasse never made it through quarantine, as one didn’t survive shipment and the next quickly got uronema

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange spot was in the tank with the banggai—though given both cardinals died the same way, I’d assume iridovirus was the cause. The wrasse never made it through quarantine, as one didn’t survive shipment and the next quickly got uronema
So, now, there are 3 fish known to be in the tank?
A Long nose, the blen and the gramma, is that correct?

Cant see it being some unseen thing. Would have to be fast, the gramma is very quick and easily hides, but will fiercely defend it’s territory.

I would have not thought blen, but if it pushing the long nose it may be trying to defend its spot, although not usually an aggressor.

Perhaps this fight is over now.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back